Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
srebucci
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: vmware

Backup size and SAN impact

Post by srebucci »

Hi everybody,
my boss ask me about the impact of B&R on our SAN: I know that with this software the impact is minimal but I need numbers. In the Enterprise Manager, I could see the backup speed for the last 24 hours or 7 days but I need to know the MB moved every night from our SAN to our backup repository.

How could achieve this value?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backup size and SAN impact

Post by Gostev »

Hi Simone, the job email reports does this information (for each VM in the job separately), so you can just do the math from there. You can also get the same report by right-clicking the required job session under History, and selecting Report. Hope this helps. Thanks!
srebucci
Enthusiast

Post by srebucci »

Hi Gostev!

It's incredible how fast you and the others of the support team answer to our questions!
But I have 48 jobs... could you please tell me the SQL Table where these data are stored? This way I could prepare a query a plot this data in a graph easily.

Thank you,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

That I do not know, unfortunately. We generally do not support direct interaction with the configuration database, so we do not have the database structure documented in any public-facing documentation (and I never really needed to research this myself). In fact, this data could be spread across a few tables. However, those few forum members who created some reports by pulling the data directly from SQL all said it was very easy for them to figure out what each database table is for. So, you could try that as well. Thanks!
srebucci
Enthusiast

Post by srebucci »

hi gostev I've found the right view in the database. in case of success, could I post the result for the community?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Sure thing! In fact, it would be much appreciated.
srebucci
Enthusiast

Post by srebucci » 1 person likes this post

Hi Gostev,
the view is the [VeeamBackup].[dbo].[ReportSessionsView].

This view is used by the Realtime Statistics menu (Right Click on a Backup Job) to get the main data of this dialog: the values are in bytes, so, if you need MB or TB, you simply need to do the math (as the Veeam B&R GUI do).
I've simply used the SQL Server Management Studio to query this view about all my jobs executions between 4 PM to 5 AM (my nightly backup window); then I've exported the data on CSV on do the plot for my boss on Excel.

SELECT TOP 1000 [id]
,[job_name]
,[state]
,[creation_time]
,[end_time]
,[job_type]
,[is_startfull]
,[operation]
,[processed_objects]
,[total_objects]
,[result]
,[total_size]
,[processed_size]
,[processed_used_size]
,[progress]
,[is_retry]
,[avg_speed]
,[read_size]
,[stored_size]
,[failed]
,[usn]
FROM [VeeamBackup].[dbo].[ReportSessionsView]
where [creation_time] > '2012-03-18 16:00:00.000' and [creation_time] < '2012-03-19 07:00:00.000'
order by [creation_time] desc;

The column name are easy to read: by the way, "very great job!!!" to the DB team.
I hope this help everyone on the forum to answer the question: how many MB/GB/TB Veeam read every night from the SAN? The short answer: only the changed ones. But sometimes (especially for the IT bosses) numbers matters.
vcosonok
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Vidad Cosonok

Post by vcosonok »

Hello Simone

Thank you very much for posting your SQL query. I was looking for some way to pull information out of the VeeamBackup database so I could make a Gantt Chart to display when job runs were overlapping, and came across your topic and SQL query which was the foundation for solving my conundrum. The result is posted at http://cosonok.blogspot.com/2012/04/vee ... ining.html

Cheers!