Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
davidb1234
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: David Borden

How do I restore a SQL Backup to point in time with V6?

Post by davidb1234 »

We are backing up SQL servers with Application aware processing turned on and TRUCATE LOGS turned OFF. Our Databases are using full recovery mode.

What is the proper process for restoring a database from a previous nights VEEAM VSS aware backup and then rolling the database forward from log file backups that have occured since the last VEEAM backup?

I have found lots of threads on this but they are all old and confusing... Anything recent or related to version 6?

Our current procedure is to let VEEAM handle the full database backups during the VEEAM backup and then we run TLOG backups every 30 minutes during business hours.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: How do I restore a SQL Backup to point in time with V6?

Post by Gostev »

Nothing new at this time in addition to what you have already found and read. We are considering adding more SQL restore option in the future releases though.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

I would suggest that instead you run full SQL backups and TLOG backups if you need point-in-time recovery. While VSS does support the ability to apply logs after a recovery unfortunately the current Veeam implementation does not set the required "SetAdditionalRestores(true)" flag but instead performs a "auto-recovery" which means that logs cannot be applied after a Veeam VSS restore.
elite-11
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Harry Leak

Post by elite-11 »

Hello,

I'm aftr an urgent reply if possible on this one as we have to have the method in place and tested by EOP tomorrow! Basically this topic pretty mcuh covers what we are trying to achieve but has confused matters a bit for m unfortuantely.

We want to run SQL in Full Recovery mode so that it generates log files for added recovery potential. The issue is how to back it up, we have Veeam V5 (can be upgraded to V6 if needed to) and ideally we would like to use Veeam to manage the process as it is a virtual server and it is way faster than other technology.

So what are the options if I wanted to use Veeam for the Full backup and TLOG backups daily? Or from the last entry if you did ever need to initiate a VSS restore using Veeam it would close off the ability to replay log files afterwards?

If we just wanted to re reun a backup throughout the day and the customer was happy to go back to that point in time, would this be an option I'm guessing?

Or are we saying just to use SQL for now until the program is updated?

I also have a question about restoration, the U-AIR feature, how does this work? Can I restore a database to a different destination for example?

Thanks,
Harry