Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
topry
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim O'Pry

Veeam 6.1 Performance with VMWare - small decrease

Post by topry »

Upgraded from 6.0 to 6.1 - which went without a hitch.
I like the UI changes, but I'm actually seeing a small decrease in performance for both backups (base and incremental) as well as replication.
The decrease is 5 to 8% on average. Not a huge amount, but since the release notes mentioned some performance improvements, I was wondering if perhaps there was some configuration I should check? All hosts are Esxi 5.0.

The comparison is based upon long running jobs (going back to version 5) and their average time (same day of week / time of day) before and after the upgrade.

Veeam is installed within a dedicated 2008R2 VM. No other jobs/software installed except Veeam.
In addition to the Veeam server, we have 3 additional proxies.
All jobs are running sequentially, so they are all using the same proxy (also dedicated 2008R2 VM on a separate host - which has not changed except for the update).

Other than this, its working great and VeeamZIP is a nice feature.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: Veeam 6.1 Performance with VMWare - small decrease

Post by Gostev »

This is because of the new default for the data mover agent priority (see the What's New document). Such reduction is expected if your primary bottleneck is backup proxy CPU resources. Since agents no longer compete for CPU resources as aggressively with other running processes, and they get slightly less CPU cycles in any given time frame (comparing to the previous version).

Even though you can do that through the registry setting, I do not recommend resetting agent priority back to NORMAL, especially if you are using default proxy (one installed on backup server - high CPU load on backup server sometimes causes various intermittent errors, for example around guest processing). And, of course, if you have backup proxies installed on Windows servers running other applications (because these applications may suffer similarly to backup server). So, just treat these 5% as the price of hugely improved reliability.

And better yet, just give those proxy servers more CPU!
topry
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim O'Pry

Re: Veeam 6.1 Performance with VMWare - small decrease

Post by topry »

Thanks for the info - VMWare stats show the backup proxy does not exceed 60% CPU usage. It is currently 2x2 for 4 cores, but I can increase it to 8.