Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

So... Anyone know what the last two new features are?

Post by mongie »

App-Assure style restore point ageing would be nice.

Don't think I know of anything else I need at this point...

Really over all the drip feeding of information. Just release V7 so we can use it :D
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: So... Anyone know what the last two new features are?

Post by veremin »

As mentioned in the latest forum digest, the new “secret” features are going to be announced during this week. Stay tuned in order not to miss them.

Additionally, in the nearest future the will be a series of webinars regarding Veeam Backup and Replication 7 and its new functionality. Two new features will be covered there in more detail. (June 20th, June 21th, respectively). So, it might be worth registering:

http://go.veeam.com/backup-v7-webinar-series.html

Thanks.
kjc3303
Expert
Full Name: Kevin Clarke

Post by kjc3303 »

Built-in WAN Acceleration and Backup from Storage Snapshots

http://www.veeam.com/blog/countdown-to- ... ion-2.html

Well done Veeam :P Wan Acceleration along with SureReplica has pretty much made B&R the full package.
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Post by homerjnick »

And do I understand it right that current Enterprise customers get a free upgrade to Enterprise Plus?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Correct. You can find a bit more details in our press release.
In addition, Veeam is offering a free upgrade to existing Enterprise Edition customers and to those who purchase or upgrade to Enterprise Edition before July 1, 2013. These customers can upgrade for free to the Enterprise Plus Edition through Nov. 1, 2013.
Daveyd
Veteran
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Post by Daveyd »

Not to bring a competitor into this but in regards to Backup from SAN snaps, is there something Veeam can do that the Commvault Intellisnap Recovery Manager cannot do? It seems the Commvault solution integrates with much more storage vendors with respect to SAN snap backups/restores than Veeam...or am I missing something?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

is there something Veeam can do that the Commvault Intellisnap Recovery Manager cannot do?
No information for now. You will have to wait to series of webinars in order to get more detailed information.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Post by Gostev »

Dave, it's night and day. We do it in a more reliable manner, and up to 20 times faster than CommVault (because unlike them, we are still able to leverage VMware CBT when backing up from SAN snapshots, plus have exclusive architecture which really speeds up the whole process). The end result is that our implementation allows for near-CDP, whereas CommVault cannot deliver even remotely close RPOs. However, we will be keeping technical details in the dark for now (until closer to GA).

And the best thing is our solution still does not require a team of PhDs to deploy! This whole functionality is a single check box.
Daveyd
Veteran
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Post by Daveyd »

Very cool. I have a friend of mine whose company is taking a very hard look at Commvault and I am trying to steer them towards Veeam, of course. Since they have a lot of small remote sites, one of the biggest things that is steering them away from Veeam is the lack of backups for physical servers. Multi vendor support for SAN snaps is a sticking point as well.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

That's fine, we can wait until they fully virtualize ;)
mongie
Expert

Post by mongie »

Well, thats a pretty awesome feature.

Its a shame that It kinda screws up the purchase I'm about to make - not sure how I'm going to make that work... oh well.

Gostev - is the multi-threaded copy limited to WAN replication, or can you utilise it when copying between primary backup storage and secondary backup storage (both within the same site)? - Dedupe appliances like multiple threads...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Can you share what purchase does it screw? May be I will be able to convince you otherwise ;)

Multi-threading applies to Veeam data movers talking to each other over network (whether or not built-in WAN acceleration is in use), and not at how the data is written to the storage.
mongie
Expert

Post by mongie »

About to buy 2x Dell DR4100's (54TB x 2)

The plan was/is: Back up onto Unit 1, use built in replication across WAN to DR site.

We already have Riverbeds, so I wasn't concerned about the replication... but the GFS thing is something I've been wanting for a long time (assuming it does what I think it does).

Now maybe thinking I should be backing up onto my existing R720xd (Win2012, 12x3TB NL-SAS) and then copy using this new veeam feature to the DR4100 (local) then use DR4100 replication down to the other unit.

argh, so confusing. You've done it to me with the tape stuff at all my other sites as well. Really hard to make good decisions on infrastructure when there is a 4 month drip feed of information on your backup software that includes major changes to how you store backups.
infused
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Hayden Kirk

Post by infused »

So is the grandfathering scheme coming to normal backups as well, not just backup copies?
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden »

Instead of the DR4100's - why not get the MDS3260 & fill it with Spindles - all 60 of them! at the primary site. you can still backup copy to a DR4100 if you want at the DR site ( the dedeup devices are good if you are wanting to keep a very long retention / large number of full backup copies ) . That way you will get the benefit of considerably higher primary backup and restore performance - especially instant restore.

I have deployed a 3260 at a customer site with 60x4Tb drives, configured in a single RAID 10 array - was able to run 11 concurrent reverse incremental jobs , *while the array was rebuilding* - they have some serious horsepower in a small unit.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I said it months ago:
http://www.virtualtothecore.com/en/?p=4389
and I'm happy I was right, deduplication appliances have few pros, too high prices, and they are going to be totally replaced by software. First Windows2012 for the storage dedupe, my Veeam 7 with remote copy. If I was a dedup appliance vendor targeting vsphere backup customers, I'd be worried!

Totally agree with Chris, we did the same at a customer: tested a DR4000, not impressed at all, sticked with our physical Veeam server and loaded it with an external DAS (MD1220) fully loaded with disks, and now thanks to V7 we will add a R720xd also loaded with disks at the remote site.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
mongie
Expert

Post by mongie »

We have a requirement to keep a lot of restore points. I have 90TB of disk at the moment, and I don't have nearly enough storage for the amount I need to keep.

A full backup of my VMs is around 20TB. Windows dedupe can't help because there is just too much data to process. Full dedupe jobs take weeks and never really work.

Anyone have a cost on a 3260 with 60 4TB disks?

Keeping years worth of monthly file server backups (7TB fulls) is hard on regular disk.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

infused wrote:So is the grandfathering scheme coming to normal backups as well, not just backup copies?
GFS retention will be available for Backup Copy jobs only.
baatch
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Alexander

Post by baatch »

Could you explain more about the GFS feature for the Backup Copy job?

If my full backup is 3,5 TB, how much storage will I need at the site that the Backup Copy job is copying to?
mongie
Expert

Post by mongie »

I'm wanting to know whether GFS works for reverse incrementals (and actually changes backup files when it is time to age backups) or if its just going to move fulls that already exist on disk.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

baatch wrote:If my full backup is 3,5 TB, how much storage will I need at the site that the Backup Copy job is copying to?
It completely depends on what you need to have in the target site and what retention settings you are going to use. Backup Copy job allows to copy VMs selectively, generating backups from existing fulls and incrementals synthetically, so you do not have to transfer/store unneeded data to/in your DR.

Btw, there is a short video describing the new functionality, did you have a chance to view it? Also, take a look at a series of our webinars for additional details.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

mongie wrote:I'm wanting to know whether GFS works for reverse incrementals (and actually changes backup files when it is time to age backups) or if its just going to move fulls that already exist on disk.
GFS has nothing to do with the backup method of the original backup job as this functionality is a part of the Backup Copy job.
bhwong
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Boon Hong Wong

Post by bhwong »

Does the backup from Storage Snapshot support Dell EqualLogic? Or it's only supported on HP SAN storage for now?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Currently, only HP storage is supported. There is an existing topic regarding our stance on adding support for other vendors, in case you are interested in more info. Thanks!
bhwong
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Boon Hong Wong

Post by bhwong »

Hi Vitality, do you have the link to the mentioned topic regarding your stance on adding support for other vendors?

I find it strange that HP SAN storage is support and not Equal Logic, despite Veeam has acknowledged that many Veeam customers are using Equal Logic.

I have also spoken to Equal Logic guys and they said that as long as Veeam supports vSphere API for Array Integration (VAAI), backup from Storage Snapshot support for Dell Equal Logic should works with Veeam without the need for a direct integration as well. Can Veeam side clarify this?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

bhwong wrote:]Hi Vitality, do you have the link to the mentioned topic regarding your stance on adding support for other vendors?
Here is one of the existing topics: Integration with Storage Snapshots : Vendor Roadmap
bhwong wrote:I have also spoken to Equal Logic guys and they said that as long as Veeam supports vSphere API for Array Integration (VAAI), backup from Storage Snapshot support for Dell Equal Logic should works with Veeam without the need for a direct integration as well. Can Veeam side clarify this?
Yes, sure. Please take a look at this topic for more details on Equallogic support: SAN Snapshot Restore
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden »

Which VAAI primitive are they talking about?
aalmeidadc
Novice
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: André Almeida

Post by aalmeidadc » 1 person likes this post

Built-in WAN Acceleration and Backup from Storage Snapshots.
tinto1970
Veeam Legend
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Alessandro T.

Post by tinto1970 » 1 person likes this post

dellock6 wrote:I said it months ago:
http://www.virtualtothecore.com/en/?p=4389
and I'm happy I was right, deduplication appliances have few pros, too high prices, and they are going to be totally replaced by software. First Windows2012 for the storage dedupe, my Veeam 7 with remote copy. If I was a dedup appliance vendor targeting vsphere backup customers, I'd be worried!

Totally agree with Chris, we did the same at a customer: tested a DR4000, not impressed at all, sticked with our physical Veeam server and loaded it with an external DAS (MD1220) fully loaded with disks, and now thanks to V7 we will add a R720xd also loaded with disks at the remote site.
I've just recieved a brand new DR4100 and i will be using it as a repo for veeam backups. This morning arrived the DR4100 and an interesting "word from gostev" in my mailbox. He says in brief that the best Veeam repos are normal servers with a plenty of disks.

So i have started some thinking... and, well for sure i still have to power on the new "appliance", i know the most value in it should be its software.
But looking at the hardware and specs i'm a bit disappointed when i compare its price to other machines we already have in our datacenter, expecially a 48 TB (raw) storage appliance with double controller, data deduplication and compression, and a Poweredge R720XD full of (real) sas disk (up to 24).

Maybe i'll change my mind later, but at the moment i think the DR4100 price is really really too high, making it not the best choice. At least the normal R720XD with 24 SAS900GB disk would be able to save a significant amount of data with a little plus: the ability of autonomously run VMs with Veeam Instant Recovery even when the source Vmware cluster is totally crashed...
Alessandro aka Tinto | VMCE 2024 | Veeam Legend | VCP-DCV 2023 | VVSPHT2023 | vExpert 2024
blog.tinivelli.com
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Let's hope then the appliance is on a "try and buy" situation :) The best choice for you would be to run tests on both solutions , and then decide which one is the best fit in your scenario.
With Backup Copy Jobs, deduplication appliances are still a good fit for secondary backups; the problem is they cannot run the Veeam repository agent, and when you want to run Instant Recovery on them.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1