Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
aqualityplace
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: MC

V5 VBK file names

Post by aqualityplace »

Is there an option to keep the same file names for the VBK images when using the synthetic fulls?

They now seem to append a date to the file name. It was really handy to have the same name each day as we use this in a selection list for archiving to tape.

We have worked around this by backing up the directory but exclusing all vrb files but would be nice have an option to go back to the good old days of the same file name each day :)
aqualityplace
Influencer

Re: V5 VBK file names

Post by aqualityplace »

one other problem we see with this - We had a plan to use a syncronisation tool to sync the vbk file to a remote store. As the file name is changing the program we use will see this as a new file and send the whole thing across not just the changes....
rklingaman
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan Klingaman

Post by rklingaman »

This is also a problem with our setup here. We copy the vbk file off to tape and when the name changes every day it will make things difficult. I use Netvault to do that and I have the ability to exclude all the vrb files which will work for me. Would be better though if they file stayed the same name though.
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Post by joergr »

Hi,
check out this one, i found out how to do it with backup exec. as i don´t know other tape tools you will have to figure out how to exlude files older than one day. the way for be is described in the linked thread.
best regards, Joerg
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

aqualityplace
Influencer

Post by aqualityplace »

thanks for the link, I dont think this is going to work with our offsite copy though. We use a tool called superflexible to only copy the changes across.

This will see the file as new and copy all of it again. I guess we can move from a synth full and just use incrementals and copy the directory across
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

If the tool is called "superflexible" ;) then I am sure it should have basic functionality rsync provides, and that is using the same target file for any source file name...
aqualityplace
Influencer

Post by aqualityplace »

maybe, I will still have the same problem feeding superflexible the new file name - but I am sure there is a way of doing this.

Just trying to get my head around why we are having to apply work arounds for something that worked. Maybe there is a technical reason for the change in V5????
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, there were a few reasons to implement this change - this was need for both current and future functionality. But trust me, I was equally upset to learn about this change when I first heard about it :( it certainly adds some complexity and brakes existing way of doing things. Well, at least this should allow for more positive effects, than this one negative.

I will discuss with devs if it is possible to make this toggleable via registry key...
HansJ
Novice
Full Name: Hans Jacobsson

Post by HansJ »

We are also using Super Flexble File Synchronizer and since upgrading to v5 it now copies/synchronizes over 500GB nightly vs around 30GB before. This is due to the file name of the vbk files, new name = new file. At least that's what SuperFlex thinks :). If possible, I would like a way to be able to choose which name to use for the vbk files.

Hans
Oletho
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ole Thomsen

Post by Oletho »

Count me in for the ability to maintain same filename for vbk :-)

Ole Thomsen
murda
Enthusiast
Full Name: murda

Post by murda »

Same here. We have certain customers were we are using rsync for offsite backup.
This is not working anymore because of the filename change. Any update on this? I didn't see a need to change this because the file has a timestamp so you can exactly see when the backups are taken ..

Same with backup to tape. I had to change the selection to only include the .vbk.
Problem is that we only selected the "backupname.vbk" file in backup since this was the last full and the other full backups are still on the disk.
Now we cannot use the same method, I am trying the method to exclude the *.vbr files and include the *.vbk files only if these files are modified...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

rsync backup is not a problem, it can be configured to write into the same target file, I attached sample shell script that selects the latest VBK and copies it over to the existing VBK file on target.

Tape backup is not a problem either, see backup naming when using reversed incremental. But the benefit is that now you can actually see by file name of backup stored on tape or elsewhere when it was taken... while previously, you would have dozens of file with the same name...
Attachments
offsite_rsync.zip
Linux shell script
(381 Bytes) Downloaded 333 times
aqualityplace
Influencer

Post by aqualityplace »

I can see there being a benefit, but would be handy to have the option if there is no technical reason - just preference
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

We are looking at possibility to provide a registry key that optionally disables VBK stamping, we will try to put this into next update (no promises, only if it shows it does not brake anything).
murda
Enthusiast

Post by murda »

Gostev wrote:rsync backup is not a problem, it can be configured to write into the same target file, I attached sample shell script that selects the latest VBK and copies it over to the existing VBK file on target.

Tape backup is not a problem either, see backup naming when using reversed incremental. But the benefit is that now you can actually see by file name of backup stored on tape or elsewhere when it was taken... while previously, you would have dozens of file with the same name...

Gostev, we use deltacopy to rsync towards our NAS.
Deltacopy is a windows based rsync so I doubt that script will help me any further :|
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Well, for Windows you can simply use the referenced PowerShell script with little customization...
I assume deltacopy allows for choosing destination file as well, just like rsync?
murda
Enthusiast

Post by murda »

Gostev wrote:Well, for Windows you can simply use the referenced PowerShell script with little customization...
I assume deltacopy allows for choosing destination file as well, just like rsync?
Yes, you can choose a destination. But I do not see how I can use this script in our environments.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

What do you mean?
murda
Enthusiast

Post by murda »

Well I don't know how I could use Deltacopy or rsync with your PS script to select the latest full backup and merge the incremental differences in the backup dir.

If I check the GUI from deltacopy i can see the run command:

Code: Select all

rsync.exe  -v -rlt -z --chmod=a=rw,Da+x "/cygdrive/E/VeeamBackup/Backup1/"*".vbk" "rsync@10.1.1.140::VeeamBackup/RsyncVeeam/VeeamBackup/Backup1/"
:idea:

My scripting sucks so help is appreciated :p
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

The only change requires is last 10 symbols:

Code: Select all

rsync.exe  -v -rlt -z --chmod=a=rw,Da+x "/cygdrive/E/VeeamBackup/Backup1/"*".vbk" "rsync@10.1.1.140::VeeamBackup/RsyncVeeam/VeeamBackup/Backup1/target.vbk"
murda
Enthusiast

Post by murda »

Well the "*".vbk will try to merge all available .vbk towards the "target.vbk" and this will not work.
Don't know if I can select the last .vbk file.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Well, since you are using reversed incremental mode, at any given moment there should be only 1 VBK file.

But even if you have multiple VBK, PowerShell script I have provided actually does select latest backup file (in case of multiple files). You just need to launch this command line above with using the variable the script produces, instead of static file name (for source file).
murda
Enthusiast

Post by murda »

Gostev wrote:Since you are using reversed incremental mode, at any given moment there will be only 1 VBK file.

But even if you have multiple VBK, PowerShell script I have provided actually does select latest backup file (in case of multiple files).
We are using reversed incremental and doing weekly full backup. So we have multiple .vbk's.
Gostev wrote: You just need to launch this command line with using the variable the script produces.
Sry, but I've no clue how I can integrate that ps1 script in my rsync(deltacopy) program so it selects the newest vbk. :?:

edit: atm I am manually rsyncing the last full vbk.
Drew9k
Novice
Full Name: Andrew Kinnear

Post by Drew9k »

I'm sorry but I don't think the VEEAM engineers thought this through very well before implementing the .VBK filename change. Seems like many of us are relying on the .VBK filename not changing to move the file to offsite or tape storage.
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Post by joergr »

What Backup Solution to tape you are using? Most of em will let you select files by their age. With rsync i could imagine a command like
rsync -avt `find /blabla -name "*" -type f -mtime -1` /blablabla
should solve it and do what you want.

best regards,
Joerg
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Drew9k wrote:I'm sorry but I don't think the VEEAM engineers thought this through very well before implementing the .VBK filename change.
We do not disagree with you :D and we are working on adding a registry key to 5.0.1 to provide you with ability to revert naming behavior to v4 style (no file stamping).
AJ83
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by AJ83 »

We`re using HP Dataprotector 6.10 to copy the data to tape. It`s not possible to select files based on creation date. We can only filter on filename or extention.

I`m still on version 4.1 because this filename thing is a dealbreaker for copying to tape.
We would like to make a full backup to tape in the weekends, and incremental files on weekdays.

I`d be really pleased to see the possibility to change the way files are named when using forward incremental, so i can either select a specific filename or extention to copy to tape.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi AJ83, have you though of simply creating symbolic link (soft link) with post-job script, and naming the forward incremental backup files in any way you want?
murda
Enthusiast

Post by murda »

Any change when the update is released or cheduled to be released?