Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6633 times

Re: Appication Item Restore Wizards

Post by Gostev »

Branch DC (also known as RODC) is Windows 2008 R2 functionality, so this is not explained in our user guide. Essentially, this creates domain controller to be used in untrusted branch environment. Makes it impossible for branch admins to screw up the Active Directory.

As for performance, yes - I guess timeouts can be explained by missing DC. If you want to make sure, try backing up and then using instant VM recovery to start up some clean Windows VM that is not added to domain. If it takes more than 30-40 seconds to show logon box, then there is some sort of performance issue for sure.
jharlow
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff

Post by jharlow »

That being the case, the web monitoring solution ended up not working out for us. I might take that vm session down and build a new DC controller instead. I been kind of holding off on that move as I moving forward, I want to change our domain to the new company name. I either need to make that move now or just bring up a temporary DC with the same name just to get this working. Decisions decisions... :)
jharlow
Enthusiast

Post by jharlow »

Just to double check. There are no issues i need to be aware of with this or anything else Veeam and Windows 2003 Server as a DC, right?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No issues.
jharlow
Enthusiast

Post by jharlow »

Good morning.

An update to this post. I now have a DC on our vSphere environment which is now being backed up by Veeam. I followed the rest of the steps in the FAQ including creating a DNS entry for yesterdays-email to point to the Isolated IP address of the Sure Backup (.216). The Sure Backup Job successfully loads and I am able to ping the .216 address.

The problem is, once I attempt to access .216 address it redirects me to the live server. I believe this is due to the actual Exchange Server being configured with an internal URL (which is required). How do I get around this?

OWA internal URL : https://webmail.[domainname].com/owa

Typing in http://yesterdays-email is pingable to the .216 address but as soon as it is typed into the address bar, it is redirected to the OWA internal URL. This occurs even with the IP address.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Good morning, although it is 8pm for me ;)

Please try accessing OWA using the following address:
https://yesterdays-email.[domain_name].com/owa

Thanks!
jharlow
Enthusiast

Post by jharlow »

So I was premature on the VLABs working.

When I configured that DNS entry it was completely bypassing the "vlab" and going directly to the live server. Cannot figure out the logic but that is irrelevant (The DNS was set to the .216 address). The issue I was having with the DC is still happening. This on top of the SureBackup Job stating it was successful. The SureBackup job starts the DC (I have it set as a DC for the task) and then starts the Mail Server (which is also set as the task). After about 10 minutes (it seems to take a while on the 'Configuring DC' in the job status) both VM loads, are pingable and is marked successful and I received the email stating as much. That is really problem number 2.

So back to problem number 1.
Outlook Web App didn't initialize. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.
The Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service on server localhost did not return any suitable domain controllers.

To simplify. I have an Application Group called Exchange. In that AG, I have two VMs. DC server and the Mail Server. The VLAB is set to run with that AG with advanced networking (as previously discussed). I run the Job and after roughly 10 mins. It is set to ready. I can manually logged into each server, which is state to be in a public network with no internet access (by designed per other topics here).

My though it that the two VMs are not "talking" to one another. They are all part of ONE vlab.
jharlow
Enthusiast

Mail Server Script vmConnectionTest code 10060

Post by jharlow »

Trying to get an AG running. On my mail server, I received an error Mail Server script, path VmConnectionTester.exe, ErrCode 10060. No other details were given...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Looks like something is wrong with DC, so Exchange does not start, which is why application test fails.
jharlow
Enthusiast

Post by jharlow »

The problem is, nothing seems to be wrong with the DC. I checked the logs (event logs). The only errors I receive is that it cannot replicate (which is expected). The DC script that sure backup runs, confirms that the DC is working, or at least validates.
jharlow
Enthusiast

Post by jharlow »

Running out of ideas and time. I have been trying to get this solution fully working for over a month it seems. My last extension has just about ran out. I am a bit concerned that Gostev is the only person that seems to be monitoring these boards and the fact that the main thing that drove me to Veaam Tools seems to be in betas and not fully supported.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

jharlow wrote:I have been trying to get this solution fully working for over a month it seems.
Have you ever been in contact with our support for this past month?
jharlow wrote:My last extension has just about ran out. I am a bit concerned that Gostev is the only person that seems to be monitoring these boards
That is almost true, the board is only monitored by small product management team... this has been sufficient since these are not support boards anyway.
jharlow wrote:and the fact that the main thing that drove me to Veaam Tools seems to be in betas and not fully supported.
What we are discussing above is not in beta, and fully supported. Your issue has nothing to deal with our U-AIR functionality, since this works fine for other people. We have demoed this use case live months ago at VMworld, so in fact this worked even in early betas. Assuming you have virtual lab setup correctly, I am sure that you will see exactly the same issue even if you perform regular full VM restore of this DC and Exchange into isolated network. Unfortunately, I do not have deep expertise troubleshooting Exchange problems, so I could not comment on this specific Exchange issue you are having.

Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

One thing just came to my mind, are you using domain controller which is Global Catalog, because this is what Exchange requires to be able to run. Thanks!
jharlow
Enthusiast

Post by jharlow »

Yes. The DC is a GC but it does not have the primary FSMO roles. Haven't moved those over yet. I placed a support ticket in yesterday and after a quick response that AIR did not support Exchange (which I mentioned in the original ticket) I haven't heard back. Supposedly, it was sent to a higher support level. Who knows.
jharlow
Enthusiast

Post by jharlow »

Just an update. I resolved the 10060 errors. With 2008 R2, Windows will place the computer into "Public" Network mode vs "Domain" Network Mode. I am guessing this is due to being a VLAB and the proxy configuration of Veeam. That being the case, I only had the Firewall turned off in Domain mode and not the others (not sure if I really like it being off, but that is for another topic). The two servers start up. I checked the logs on the DC and other than complaining about replicating to other DCs (which are not virtualized) it seems fine. Services are started. Moved on to the Exchange server, and loads of errors about not being able to connect to the DC. No doubt there is a link issue between the two.

I combed through the forums and really did not see anything that stood out. FSMO roles are not on the virtualized DC but per a topic, that is not required. On a positive note, using AIR it looks like I can restore DC objects. I did not complete the wizard but I was able to see objects and theorically differences between the live and lab server. I will probably run a test later on adding an account and then deleting it to make sure it will restore. Haven't try the SQL AIR yet.
jharlow
Enthusiast

Post by jharlow »

Any update on the release of Exchange AIR for 2010? Tier 3 support does not seem to be following through on my issue and really like to get a solution to restore from our Exchange 2010 server...

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

The code supporting Exchange 2010 is almost done, and should hit QC in just a few weeks. After that, release timelines should become predictable.
jharlow
Enthusiast

Post by jharlow »

Thanks. I really wish they would release it even in beta as they did for the previous version. Just something I could use while I wait for the final and for Tier 3.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No problems, we can release it as beta as soon as first QC smoke tests are done.
alexfeig1
Influencer
Full Name: Alex

Post by alexfeig1 »

Are you also testing against Exchange 2007?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes.
jharlow
Enthusiast

Post by jharlow »

It is now February and still no word of Exchange 2010 support... This is appalling! We are not only two months from the point I started requesting support and I know I am not the only one. It has been well over a year that Exchange 2010 was released! November 9th 2009 per wikipedia. Email/Phone Support is very lacking. It takes days to get a response.

I know a lot of people still rely on Agent based software but the hope with using your solution was to remove that from the equation as it tends to add more complexity than I was hoping for; however, I am tired of waiting. The lack of support from your company and the lack of being on the cutting edge (Exchange 2010, not only been out for over a year but at least another year in beta) IMO is going to cost you a customer. Maybe you do not care. One customer verse what hundreds or thousands? But maybe someone else in the forums reading this may also see my hassle and look elsewhere. This may even be deleted, if so, that adds to the fuel and maybe Google would have archived it for offsite viewing.

So far, no one in Tier 3 or your development has been able to find the reason why even the User Define backup does not work. I can say it relates to the DC not working in the VLAB but what is odd is that I can at least restore from the DC using AIR. That gave hope that Exchange AIR would at least get me a solution and I could continue waiting for support to determine the reason with the DC does not work. At this point that issue was opened weeks ago and if I am lucky I receive a response once a week.

I believe part of the problem is your support is in another country. Maybe you have two people in your development team. I do not know. Whatever the case may be, I am concern now that even if Exchange AIR was release tomorrow, rather or not I willing to place my recommendation on your software due to lack of confidence in your support staff.

Regretfully, it seems I am off to find another solution.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2709 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Jeff,

I've just reviewed your case. As far as I can see you've got multiple errors in the event log of you backed up DC. Those errors messages indicate issues with Group Policies, DFS Namespace service and Netlogon. Have you tried running a new Full backup for this DC run to see if this issue confirms or not?

We've got an international support team with branch offices all over the world covering 24x7x365 response hours Worldwide.

Please appreciate the fact that we try to make best effort to provide equivalent of “Standard Support” response times to customers during the official evaluation period. Your case has been assigned Severity 4 level, as the issue relates to a 3rd party product, meaning that 24 business hours responce is expected.

Please note that we are not saying that "your DC is corrupted", but there are definitely some issues with it. We will try to assist you with problem analysis, though you should continue working with our support team, so we could resolve this issue together.

Reading back through Anton's replies, I can say that we are planning to release Exchange 2010 support in Q1.

Thank you.
jharlow
Enthusiast

Post by jharlow »

Vitality,

While I appreciate your feedback, I do not necessarily agree. The DC is live and does not produce any errors. That said, I am running off of incremental backups for restores for the server, so maybe something was not updated successful during the nightly process. Unfortunately, as I mentioned to Anton for the past week, the trial key expired, so I cannot even test doing a full backup. I sent him an email this morning (CST) again and as of right now, I have not received an updated key.

As far as the direct messages, we have a total of 6 group policies objects defined in our domain. We do not use any DFS and again as far as netlogon, the server being backed up houses 3 of the FSMO roles in our network. I am fairly certain if the issue was with the DC, I would have other issues other than the backup procedure.

Regarding world coverage and response times, the fact remains that I am lucky to receive a response to an email from Tier 3 in days.

I am a rational person and understand situations that can be out of your hands. However, there is a point where I have to decide the next call of action. I am now at a critical state with our old exchange server due to space. While this is not directed related to the issue, the problem would not have occurred if a solution would have been provided at a timely manner; not 2 months and going... I understand I am an evaluating customer but I also understand that at this phase, a sale is a sale. Right now the lack of resolution is costing you a sale.

Thanks,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Jeff,

You're correct that everything doesn't seem to be right. Your concerns do make sense for me either, but I can assure you that our support team has made a great effort in order to investigate this issue.

As far as I see we have sent the extended trial license file to you. I haven't seen your log files neither did I see the issue live (as I'm not a Support guy), but I would assume that making another Full backup should shed some light on the current issue or at least would help us to narrow down all possible reasons for this DC problem.

We do appreciate all your feedback,including a negative one - as we are always working on providing high quality service for our customers.

Thank you.
j1mbo007
Novice
Full Name: James Wiggill

Post by j1mbo007 »

Hi all
I am new regarding Veeam,
I am using exchange 2010 sp1, question , can I do a brick level backup with v5
Thanks you guys are great
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello James,

Veeam Backup and Replication is an image-level backup solution. Please note that you can do file-level and idividual mailbox items restores. Exchange AIR wizard supporting Exchange 2010 will be introduced this quarter.

For more information about Application Item Restore Wizards please have a look at our F.A.Q. topic:
>>> READ THIS FIRST : [FAQ] FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS <<<

Thanks!
j1mbo007
Novice
Full Name: James Wiggill

Post by j1mbo007 »

I still don't don't think this will resolve a 2003 enviroment, Gostev what would the resolution be ? if any ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi James, I am not sure what you are asking?
warix
Enthusiast

Exchange plugin

Post by warix »

[merged into existing discussion]

Hello,

This version of plugin is not compatible with exchange 2010.
What is the roadmap for the compatibility version with exchange 2007 and 2010