Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
durgabaps
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Durga Mishra

Exchange 2010 DAG backup ?

Post by durgabaps »

Do we need to create separate backup jobs for each server in a DAG or just taking a single node backups assuming all the mail boxes are sitting on that server will accomplish the job?

Thanks,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Exchange 2010 backup ?

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

I believe someone posted earlier that he backs up all DAG nodes with the same job. Dedupe ratio is fantastic he said :)
durgabaps
Novice

Post by durgabaps »

Is there a best practice for adjusting the heartbest setting for the cluster which will avoid the failover between the DAG while the VSS snapshot get's triggered ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, there is big existing topic discussing this issue and best practices - please search the forum.
durgabaps
Novice

Post by durgabaps »

Issue with VMware & Exchange 2010 DAG

I know Veeam 5.0.2 has application aware feature which takes care while when the VSS Snapshot is triggered. I'll try an search more and see if I get anything specific to adjusting cluster heartbeat..
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I am almost positive I saw discussion somewhere on discussing DAG cluster heartbeat, but that might be when I was Googling researching this issue. So if you don't find any references on this forum, try to Google instead.
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Post by Bunce »

That was the correct thread Anton. I linked to the cluster settings in one of my posts.
nkearns
Lurker
Full Name: Nick Kearns

Re: Backup Configuration question

Post by nkearns »

[merged]

Looking at it from that angle I can now see how that would work.

Got a new Question Exchange 2010 DAG

Ok so I got 2 x Exchange 2010 CAS / Hub Transport Server (VM's) and 2 x Exchange 2010 mailbox servers in DAG (VM'S)

What’s the best way to back these up,

Do I back the lot up in one job or split out to 2 jobs.

Are there any issues I need to be aware off

Regards

Nick
mill3502
Lurker
Full Name: bob miller

Post by mill3502 »

This may help for those looking for a way to increase DAG Fail Over Cluster timeout values.

Decreasing Exchange 2010 DAG Failover Sensitivity by Increasing Cluster Timeout Values.

Filed under: VMware, ESX, Microsoft, Windows 2008 R2, Exchange, vSphere, Virtualisation, Veeam, Disaster Recovery, Backups — internationalmanofawesome @ 2:21 pm

When running an Exchange 2010 DAG over a WAN, you may run into some of the limitations of Microsoft FCS (Failover Cluster Service). This service defaults to fairly low timeouts for fast failover in LAN environments. In a WAN environment, where latency may be higher, and some packet loss may occur, you may need to tweak the timeouts for FCS. I advise to tweak most of the settings via the FCS admin tool. However, there are a few settings to tweak via the command line, and here are the maximum values you can configure to make it “less sensitive”:

Exchange 2010 DAGs use Windows Failover Clustering. By default, FCS has fairly low timeouts that are ideal for use in fast localised LAN environments

If you operate your Exchange 2010 DAGs over a WAN where issues such as latency and packet loss can occur, you may find that your email databases are failing over. By default, heartbeat frequency (subnet delay) is 1000ms for both local and remote subnets and when a node misses 5 heartbeats (subnet threshold) another nod within your DAG cluster will initiate a failover.

You can change these values to their maximums by issuing the commands below on a DAG mailbox server in a command box.

cluster /prop SameSubnetDelay=2000:DWORD
cluster /prop CrossSubnetDelay=4000:DWORD
cluster /prop CrossSubnetThreshold=10:DWORD
cluster /prop SameSubnetThreshold=10:DWORD
You can check that the properties have been applied by executing the following command on a DAG mailbox server in a command box.
cluster /prop

If you virtualise your Exchange 2010 mailbox servers, this may also assist in preventing failover when backing up your VMs using backup products that take snapshots of your VMs like Veeam Backup and Replication. Note that doing backups in this manner is NOT supported by Microsoft at this time.
Reference – Configure Heartbeat and DNS Settings in a Multi-Site Failover Cluster – http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... S.10).aspx
sdelacruz
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sam De La Cruz

Correct way to Backup Microsoft Exchange 2010 DAG

Post by sdelacruz »

[merged]

We recently migrated our physical Exchange server 2003 (Single Server) to a multiple Exchange 2010 (Virtual)
I am looking for some advice on how to properly backup a MS Exchange 2010 DAG.

We currently have 4 servers running exchange at our data center and also a remote copy (1)server at our DR site.
I would like to know what is the best practice to backup this type of Exchange 2010 setup.

We currently have the following scenario

----DATA CENTER-----
BACKUP SERVER (Veeam Installed)
___________I__________
| l
V V
FrontEnd1_server FrontEnd2_Server
| l
V V
Backend1_server Backend2_server

Currently Each Server has its own backup job running at different times.
I also would like to know if Veeam will allow me to extract a PST from a past backup. We constantly get request from management to provide a copy of a mailbox that was deleted months ago.

Thanks in advance.

SAM
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Exchange 2010 DAG backup ?

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi Sam,

Yes it is possible to extract things to a pst.
Start the Exchange Server in the Virtual Lab and use a normal outlook client to extract for example a Public Folder.

You can use our U-AIR Exchange Witzes to restore or extract Mails or other objects,too.

Andy
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Oh BTW ...

Your other questions are answered above.

Use one job to backup both DAG Server (Good deduplication Ratio)
Because of VMware snapshot commit delayes increase the Cluster heartbeat Time (See above).

Backup Minimum One CAS Cluster Node and the active Directory DNS Server (the first DNS Server entry of the Exchange Servers). In a multi Domain Environment Backup a AD catalog Server from the Root Domain too (Exchange Security OU).

Andy
Riaz
Lurker
Full Name: Riaz

[MERGED] VMware/Exchange 2010 DAG 2 node cluster

Post by Riaz »

Hi all

I have been trying to find best practices to backup a virtualised Exchange 2010 2 node DAG using Veeam 6.5.

Nodes:
Server1
Server2

Question 1:
Should both nodes be backed up, isn't this just duplicating information and backup window?

Question 2:
If only a single node is recommended should it be Active or Passive?

Question 3:
If passive will truncate logs still work?

Question 4:
If node has mixed active and passive databases, should this be altered so all databases are active on a single node and passive on alternate node?

Question 5:
I have read about snapshot timeouts resulting in DAG failovers, should I increase cluster timeouts (SubnetDelay/SubnetThreshold) from offset or wait and see if this issue affects me?

Thanks all in advance.
Riaz
Lurker
Full Name: Riaz

Re: [MERGED] VMware/Exchange 2010 DAG 2 node cluster

Post by Riaz »

OK I believe I have answers to most of these
Question 1:
Should both nodes be backed up, isn't this just duplicating information and backup window?
For me at least it was easier to just backup both, with job deduplication additional storage usage was not too bad, and window time is good
Question 2:
Active, passive can be done but it can be quite troublesome to activate the passive node DAG database in this scenario before a restore can be done.
Question 3:
Unsure
Question 4:
If node has mixed active and passive databases, should this be altered so all databases are active on a single node and passive on alternate node?
This is an option if you can only backup some of the nodes (eg location/storage/window restrictions), Always try to do active nodes to make restore process easier
Question 5:
I have read about snapshot timeouts resulting in DAG failovers, should I increase cluster timeouts (SubnetDelay/SubnetThreshold) from offset or wait and see if this issue affects me?
I implemented the DAG increased timeout values to be safe

Note
These questions and answers are mostly from information I have found in various sources and may not be applicable to other environments, but thoguht I would update anyway in case it is of some use to others.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Riaz wrote:Question 3:

Unsure
Here is a detailed forum post (kudos to Haris Cokovic for that) that should answer your question: VSS timeout with Exchange 2010
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic » 3 people like this post

Maybe i can bring up some additional light into these questions based on my very own experience with a quite large Exchange DAG environment (actually running 3 nodes with about 6000 mailboxes on it).
Question 1:
It depends. If you can afford the addtional storage space for backing up both nodes then you are good to go with backing up both nodes. But there are other things you have to take into consideration when planning your backup strategy. It has to deal with your other questions.

Even after changing the values you've mentioned under question 5 there is still the possibility that you experience a database failover from the active node to the passive node when snapshot creation or commit takes place. This is something that happend to me in our environment. While Job 1 on Node 1 was running (database failover due to snapshot creation has happened) the job for the second node started too cause my backup windows overlaped. Now while backup of Node 1 was still running and the backup of the second node was intiated all the active databases from Node 2 made a failover back to node 1. Backup job on Node 1 finished and as snapshot commit was performed the databases failed over again to Node 2. Now after snapshot commit on Node 1 finished the job on Node 2 began his snapshot commit. Now the active databases again started to initiate a failover back to Node 1. They never failed over to Node 3 as we've setup database preferences. This is why i ended up in a situation where my databases flapped around between Node 1 and Node 2. Additionally because of the amount of load and mailboxes the Indexing service on these two nodes went wild resulting in VMs that were under 100% load and thus not responding anymore to any requests for quite a while. Not really funny having thousands of users complaining about a non working Outlook anymore :wink:
Question 2:
In the end we've setup a complete passive node (Node 3) and just backing up this one. That way we are preventing active databases from doing a failover and additionally offloading the backup processing to this single node. This is by the way the preferred method by Microsoft too in an Exchange DAG environment. Here's an article from a Microsoft blog where you can read something about it (scroll down to VSS Backup of Passive Copy). It's written for Exchange 2007 but still applicable for Exchange 2010 i think.

Just in case of VSS based restores it is a bit troublesome when backing up a passive node . But this is not applicable for Veeam as your are not performing VSS based restores with it. So it doesn't really matter if you backup an active or a passive node with Veeam.
Question 3:
Yes. See the link to my post Vitaly referenced. But you should always keep an eye on your backup and see if log truncation really happens. In case you've got any issues with the Replica writer log truncation can fail. So again: watch it! :)
Question 4:
See answer to question one. If you can do backups from an active node without initiating a database failover you are good to go with a mixed environment. If not you should consider creating a passive node an just doing backup of this single passive node.
Question 5:
These settings are intended to prevent a database failover when vMotion or snapshot takes place. You have to try it. You can safely increase the timeout values even when not needed.

Take a look into this article too. There are some recommended hotfixes for an Exchange 2010 DAG cluster you may want to implement in your environment.
deduplicat3d
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Corey

Post by deduplicat3d »

I'm about to go live on Exchange 2010 (with DAG). I have about 300 (active) users on 2 mailbox servers both active. Should I be concerned about this timeout issue or is this relatively rare? What is the default timeout?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

yes, you need to adjust heartbeat dag settings to max as described here. With get-... you can read out your default settings.
Cokovic
Veteran

Post by Cokovic »

deduplicat3d wrote:I'm about to go live on Exchange 2010 (with DAG). I have about 300 (active) users on 2 mailbox servers both active. Should I be concerned about this timeout issue or is this relatively rare? What is the default timeout?
It depends mainly on your underlying storage. If for example snapshot commit takes too long it's possible that you could exceed the cluster tresholds and a failover will be initiated. So nobody can really tell you what will happen in your environment. You will have to test it.

To verify your cluster settings open up a command prompt and type

cluster /prop

This will show up the cluster settings. Take a look at "SameSubnetDelay" (default 1000, max 2000) and "SameSubnetThreshold" (default 5, max. 10). You can set this paramter with

cluster /prop SameSubnetThreshold=10
cluster /prop SameSubnetDelay=2000
dreic
Influencer
Full Name: Damir Reic

[MERGED] How to backup Microsoft Exchange 2010 DAG

Post by dreic »

Hi,

we have 2 HUB/CAS servers in NLB cluster and 2 mailbox servers in DAG cluster. What should i backup to be able to do item level restore?
Cokovic
Veteran

Post by Cokovic »

You only need the mailbox server if you are doing item level restore with Veeam Explorer for Exchange. If you want to use it in conjunction with SureBackup then you would need at least one HUB/CAS server backed up too.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

in case you want to use veeam explorer for exchange only one mailbox server which hold all DBs needed. If you want to use Surebackup / VirtualLab or old U-AIR exchange wizard, you need:

all dag members
the server who host whitness quorum share or if whitness is configured as auto you need one cas server which hold no mailbox role.
At minimum one cas.
Daveyd
Veteran
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Post by Daveyd »

I am going to be running 2 mailbox servers. The 2 servers will be in 2 different ESX clusters in 2 different DataCenters connected via dark fiber. Each mailbox server will run 2 active databases with DAG copies of the other MB server.

So the setup is like this:

MB1-DC1:
1.3TB vmdk for DB1
1.3TB vmdk for DB2
1.3TB vmdk for DAG copy of DB1 on MB2-DC2
1.3TB vmdk for DAG copy of DB2 on MB2-DC2
200GB vmdk for DB1 logs
200GB vmdk for DB2 logs
200GB vmdk for DAG copy of DB1 logs on MB2-DC2
200GB vmdk for DAG copy of DB2 logs on MB2-DC2

MB2-DC1:
1.3TB vmdk for DB1
1.3TB vmdk for DB2
1.3TB vmdk for DAG copy of DB1 on MB1-DC1
1.3TB vmdk for DAG copy of DB2 on MB1-DC1
200GB vmdk for DB1 logs
200GB vmdk for DB2 logs
200GB vmdk for DAG copy of DB1 logs on MB1-DC1
200GB vmdk for DAG copy of DB2 logs on MB1-DC1

In this setup, would backing up each Mailbox VM and excluding the drives that contain the active DBs be sufficient, or would I need to backup everything on both Mailbox servers? Since there are multiple 1TB+ drives presented to each Mailbox server, the Full backups would take a considerable time. I am look for the best way to backup each Mailbox server while making it the most efficient and the most reliable to restore.
Daveyd
Veteran

Post by Daveyd »

Anyone?
Cokovic
Veteran

Post by Cokovic » 4 people like this post

Seems like noone wants to give you an answer ;) I would still recommend you to search through this forum as most of the things regarding Exchange 2010 DAG backup were discussed in detail here in the past. OK now lets go on.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve but if it's that you want just to backup the passive copies on every node then this wont work. Disk exclusion wont prevent snapshot creation of these disks (only if you configure them as independent disks). And also VSS processing would still happen for the active databases as the VSS call from Veeam cant be performed for a specific database. It will always be done on every database on your server.

Restore shouldn't be a problem no matter which mailbox server you are going to backup. With Veeam Explorer for Exchange you would be able to restore any single item from active and passive copies of your database. Even a full database restore would be possible. I've tried this myself and it works. If you are going to restore a passive copy you would have to do some manual steps too but in the end a full database restore with Veeam FLR worked.

So i would recommend you the following:

1. If not already done you should adjust cluster timeout setting to prevent a possible database failover when vMotion or snapshot takes place (depending on your environment this still could happen even after adjusting these settings). For example see this link here.

2. There are some recommended patches from Microsoft for an Exchange DAG environment. They are not automatically installed with automatic updates. Even if the description is not applicable for your environment they still should be installed (know it from my very own experience). See here.

3. Test your backup first with only one mailbox server and see what happens. Best case would be that backup is successfull and no database failover or log truncation error will happen ;)

If everything works fine with you could

a) backup both mailboxserver. In this case i would ensure that backups are not overlapping and log truncation is actived only for one of the mailbox servers. Log truncation will also happen for passive databases. SO nothing to care about.

b) backup only one of your servers. You are still able to restore a single item or a complete database too (no matter if from active or passive database). In case a complete mailbox server fails you could restore this node from scratch with the recovery option from the Exchange setup (as described here).

4. If you have problems with database failover while backup is performed (cause of snapshot creation or removal task) then you should think about moving all your databases to just one server so you could backup the passive node (and not have any impact on your production server where the active databases reside) or keep your existing setup with spread active databases and add a third DAG member as a passive copy and then backup this one. This is what we have done in the end as we had problems with failing databases in our environment while backing up active nodes (see my post above). Backing up the passive node was even possible while working hours as the load was only on the passive node. Log truncation still happened so everything was fine.

Hope this answers your question a bit.

Cheers
Haris
Daveyd
Veteran

Post by Daveyd »

Haris,

Thank you for the detailed reply!

Since we have both DatcCenters connected via dark fiber and have ESX hosts in both locations, we are trying to split up resources, hence 2 active databases in one DC and 2 active DBs in the other DC. In each Datacenter, our back end disks (3TB NL SAS on EMC CX4 array), which we had sized with the help of EMC. So, I do not think our spindle count would be great enough for 4 active DBs on 1 server versus 2 active 2 DBs and 2 passive DAG DBs.

Since each Mailbox server will have 6TB of presented disks, I am looking to the most efficient backup and restore scenario, if I run daily incrementals and weekly non synthetic fulls. Even though I will be backing up to a dedupe appliance (Exagrid) I do not want to backup redundant data or have the full backups, being so large, take a tremendous amount to time, if I do not have to.

We do have a 3rd mailbox server just for Archive Databases. I was thinking about putting the DAG copies on that Mailbox server, however we will not be backing the archive mailbox server up every day.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

@Cokovic: +1. Thank you very much for your great help.

With v7 there is a new option that addresses Snapshot commit based DAG cluster failover problems.
With Enterprise Plus you can use storage Snapshots for HP Lefthand and 3 PAR to reduce VM Snapshot time to seconds.
With HP Lefthand VSA this can be used with other Storage Systems.

Basically it is. Consistency => VM Snapshot => Storage Snapshot => VM Snapshot release => Backup from Storage Snapshot ...
janatecx
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jan De Smet

Post by janatecx » 2 people like this post

I have A 2 node DAG with active / passive database copies on each node.
Initially I created a backup job with the 2 exchange servers of the primary datacenter (CAS-HT-MB and HT). I cleared the HT server from this job and created a separate job for this vm backup.

For me the following steps resolved the issue:

Adjust Microsoft settings for failover sensitivity (in bold, run from command line): 1.cluster /prop SameSubnetDelay=2000:DWORD (Default: 1000)
2.cluster /prop CrossSubnetDelay=4000:DWORD (Default: 1000)
3.cluster /prop CrossSubnetThreshold=10:DWORD (Default: 5)
4.cluster /prop SameSubnetThreshold=10:DWORD (Default: 5)
5. To check settings, use: cluster /prop

Next I configured a new backup Proxy on a member server and configured like this:
Use Network (NBD) mode setting on Source Backup Proxy as opposed to Appliance (hotadd) mode for your backup and/or replication jobs in Veeam.

I then configured the backup job of the HT-CAS-MB to use the newly created backup proxy.

These steps did the trick for me.
Hopefully it will also help others.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Jan, thanks for sharing this with the community, much appreciated!
Daveyd
Veteran

Post by Daveyd »

janatecx wrote:I have A 2 node DAG with active / passive database copies on each node.
Initially I created a backup job with the 2 exchange servers of the primary datacenter (CAS-HT-MB and HT). I cleared the HT server from this job and created a separate job for this vm backup.

For me the following steps resolved the issue:

Adjust Microsoft settings for failover sensitivity (in bold, run from command line): 1.cluster /prop SameSubnetDelay=2000:DWORD (Default: 1000)
2.cluster /prop CrossSubnetDelay=4000:DWORD (Default: 1000)
3.cluster /prop CrossSubnetThreshold=10:DWORD (Default: 5)
4.cluster /prop SameSubnetThreshold=10:DWORD (Default: 5)
5. To check settings, use: cluster /prop

Next I configured a new backup Proxy on a member server and configured like this:
Use Network (NBD) mode setting on Source Backup Proxy as opposed to Appliance (hotadd) mode for your backup and/or replication jobs in Veeam.

I then configured the backup job of the HT-CAS-MB to use the newly created backup proxy.

These steps did the trick for me.
Hopefully it will also help others.

Thanks for the info!

We are running a 2 node DAG as well with active ad passive copies on both. Do you backup both DAG nodes or just 1 of them? I would think backing up just one of them since each contain a passive copy of the other's active DB would be sufficient?