Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
FROGGYJ
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Justin Beauchamp

Moving To New Repository

Post by FROGGYJ »

I ma trying to move my backups (reverse incremental) from one repository to another and edit the jobs accordingly. So I have manually copied all the files, setup the new repository, scanned it....but when I edit the job to point it to the new repository I get the following error "move all backup files to the new repository first". I can't seem to find any documentation that explains how to change repositories so anyone know what I'm missing?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Moving To New Repository

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Justin, have you tried this procedure?

- Remove from Backups (do NOT delete)
- Move the files to the new repository
- Right click the repository -> Rescan Repository
- Edit the Job -> Pick New Repository and map the job to the existing backup files
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

[MERGED] Changing Backup Repository to Different Location

Post by habibalby »

Hi,
I have configured Backup Jobs on 2 TB Repository and I would like to move some of the VMs to different Repository on the same Server by retaining the existing Backup Jobs to continue writing Full/Incremental to the new Repository.

How can I do that?

Thanks,
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Thank you,

This procedure works like a charm :)

- Remove from Backups (do NOT delete)
- Edit the Job -> Pick New Repository
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Hello Once again,

Hi,

I have moved some VMs from 1st Repository to 2nd Repository, I have used the following procedure in order to continue the backup jobs on the new Repository.

- Remove from Backups (Not delete)
- Edit the Job -> Pick New Repository

I’m sure I have done the above step, but when I re-run the job it should continue backing up to the old file which moved from 1st Repository to the 2nd Repository, in fact it’s not happening. When the job starts, it creates a new Folder of the VM instead of amending the existing one.

It has worked only for one VM and now whenever I move other VMs it doesn't work at all.

Any help?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hussain, the final step in this procedure is to map backup job to the backup files in the new repository while editing the job.
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Hi Alex,
Yes, that's what I did. I can capture a video for you to show the steps I've done, even though the job starts creating a new VM Directory.

Thanks,
S.Hussain
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Just to be clear that we are talking about the same: are you editing the job specifying the new repository and also mapping it to the existing backup file (blue "Map backup" link on the same wizard step)?

I think you'd better start the case with support to have a webex session with them and demonstrate what you are doing exactly.
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Hi,
The procedure of moving the backup files to a new repository is as follows:

1. Make sure you have at least one successful full job run after the upgrade to v6, and the *.vbm metadata file has been created (in case this job was created in version 5).

2. Once you have the metadata file created, create a new backup repository, and move all backup files to that repository.

3. Initiate rescan action on your new repository to locate all backup files.

4. Update your backup job according to your new configuration: specify the new repository in the job properties and setup backup mapping to point the job to the backups located in the new repository.

Mapping backup files wasn't clear to me.

Now all clear.

Thanks,
Wil
Influencer
Full Name: Wil Santiago

[MERGED] Cannot run backup job after it was moved

Post by Wil »

Hello,
I moved a backup job to another storage device and now i get the below message.

"Cannot update backup destination path because the following files were not found in the new location."

I had manually deleted some vib, and vbk files. Ever since then, the backups were working until i tried to moved them.
Is there any way i can maybe modify a file to update it?

Thanks,
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Wait, you moved a VBK file of a forward incremental chain???
If so, the following incremental will fail for sure. You need to restore the vbk in place or create a new full backup...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Wil
Influencer
Full Name: Wil Santiago

Post by Wil »

I moved all the files i had .vbk and .vib to the new shared. Backup jobs have been working fine but, when i changed the path in the job is when i got the error.
There has to be a file i can edit to delete the vbk or vib files it's refereeing to.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

If you want to keep the moved retention point, you need to register first the new position as a new repository, and the edit the backup job that created those files and use the "map backup" tool in the repository choice box, it will see the previous backups and start from there.
Instead, if you want to start from scratch with a new repository, go in the "backups" section and use the command "remove from backups", this will allow you to change the repository in the backup.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
snowmizer
Enthusiast

[MERGED] Move backups to new drives on existing server

Post by snowmizer »

I am in the process of migrating all of my VMs to our new storage array. One of the last VMs I have left is my Veeam B&R server. I would like to attach the two new disks I created on my new array to my VM and then copy the backups from the old array disks (drives D, F, and G) to the new disks. Once the files are copied then I will rename the two new disks to D and F and delete the old (D, F and G drives). I know I will probably have to recreate the repositories for the jobs that access the G drive. I'm wondering if this is feasible and is a good idea. I really don't want to have to re-run the full backups again. Is there a better way to achieve what I'm trying to do?

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Your procedure looks absolutely fine to me. Thanks!
chanreasey
Novice
Full Name: Sopheap OUCH

Post by chanreasey »

Hello everybody,

Now I move to other repository is successfully but the problem is when I run job again on the new repository it perform full backup.

Question: After move to the new repository, can I perform incremental backup? How to do this?

Thanks,

Chanreasey
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Sopheap, have you mapped your backup job to the backup files in the new repository? Thanks!
chanreasey
Novice

Post by chanreasey »

Hi,

I do it already but it still can not perform incremental backup. Do you have other solution?

Thanks,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you did everything according to the procedure described on the first page of this thread, then your job should be running an incremental run. There are no known issues around this functionality.

I would suggest opening a support ticket with our technical team so that they could take look at your logs and then guide you through the process of moving backup files to a different repository.
chanreasey
Novice

Post by chanreasey »

Hi, Many thanks for your support. After I try to map backup job to the backup files in the new repository,now it is work without an error.

Thanks,
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Post by cffit »

What and where is the "Map Backup" tool that is referred to in this post?
cffit
Veteran
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Christensen Farms

Post by cffit »

Nevermind, I see that this is a link under where you select the repository when you edit the job.
babarc
Influencer

[MERGED] After moving amd importing repository starts with f

Post by babarc »

Hello,
i move a repository, delete from backup, rescan and then map the job to the new repository. When i'm starting the job (friday) it does a full even if the full is set to another day (sunday). Is it correct? thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Have you mapped to the existing backup files while specifying the new repository in the job wizard?
babarc
Influencer

Post by babarc »

foggy wrote:Have you mapped to the existing backup files while specifying the new repository in the job wizard?
Yes.
If i start manually the job it creates a new .vbk file and change the time to existing vbm file
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Then I would suggest contacting support so that they could check whether you were doing everything right and review your logs for possible reasons. Thanks.
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

If you've moved the backup files and you rerun the job again and it creates a new full backup instead of continuing to the previous backup configuration, it means the mapping not correct or the CBN along with the vdm files are not moved completely.
Remove backup, move files to anew location, add the new location as repository, scan the new repository, when scan is detected a new backup files will be added, edit the backup job and map the vdm configuration to the new repository location. Start the job and it should continue the backup to the previous backup chain files.

Thanx
nmace
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

[MERGED] Moving Location of Backup Repository

Post by nmace »

Right now, I have a few jobs all writing to a local volume on my Veeam server. That volume is running low on space, I need to move some of the jobs to a new volume. What's the best way to do that? I can update the location in the job properties....will doing that move the existing data? Or is that a manual process I need to do?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Moving Location of Backup Repository

Post by veremin »

nmace wrote:Right now, I have a few jobs all writing to a local volume on my Veeam server. That volume is running low on space, I need to move some of the jobs to a new volume. What's the best way to do that? I can update the location in the job properties....will doing that move the existing data? Or is that a manual process I need to do?
In the way I see it, updating location in the job properties will result in nothing but failing of the existing job, due to the fact, that in this case job will be trying to address to previous restore points, without much success, though.

So, in order to simplify your process of moving job to a new repository I give you complete description of time-proved method for doing it.
1)In Veeam B&R User-interface create a new repository on a new volume.
2)In your OS manually copy/paste previous backups from former repository to the new one.
3)In Veeam B&R User-interface right-click on the new repository and choose “Rescan” option.
4)After having done that, go to the properties of the job you want to move, particularly to the “Storage” settings.
5)Change Backup repository to the new one.
6)Click “Map backup” option, open your new repository by clicking “+”, and choose job you’ve already moved (Note, please, that the name of the job, files of which you’re trying to move to a new location, should be revealed. Otherwise, try to rescan new repository again or redo previous actions).

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Zeon
Novice
Full Name: Jonathan Spence

[MERGED] Running Backups offsite

Post by Zeon »

Hey guys,
I'm just trying to figure out the correct way to seed an offsite backup server. The situation is we have two sites:
- Site A
- Site B

That are 15km from each other on a 100mbps connection. I am trying to backup a 1.8TB VM which takes around 4 days. However every time I try there is a 2minute outage sometime in those 4 days which cuts the backup off. I tried to make a backup on the local VEEAM server, copy to a USB HDD and take it to Site B however I couldn't figure out how to use it to seed a new backup job.

Any tips or is this even possible?