Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jauneorange
Novice
Liked: never

Virtual Lab Routing Engine issue

Post by jauneorange »

Hello,

I need your help about a little weird issue i have on my virtual lab. I can restore objet AD from my virtual lab and my virtual machine AD saved.

But first of all, when i start the surebackup job, i have an error time out saying that my proxy appliance is configured to run on a different subnet (step 2: Starting virtual lab routing engine), this is the issue i have on the surebackup job.

The veeam backup can not ping the proxy appliance, after several test i have managed to make it work by logging on the proxy appliance console and run command route.

Then just after that, my veeam backup server is able to ping my proxy appliance and also the surebackup job is working since i logged on the proxy appliance console. I can restore objet AD from my backup but i need to log on proxy appliance console at the first time to make it work, i don't think this is a normal situation.

Here is my configuration:
Veeam Server: 10.3.5.16
Proxy Applince:
Production network: 10.3.24.52
Isolated network: 10.3.24.1 , masquerade network: 10.255.24.D

Virtual Machine in isolated network: 10.3.24.41, his gateway in production network is 10.3.24.1

Do you have an idea ?!

Best regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Virtual Lab Routing Engine issue

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Could you please tell me how have you deployed your proxy appliance? Are you using DHCP to obtain the network configuration or have you assigned the static IP address/subnet/gateway to your appliance during initial configuration?
jauneorange
Novice

Post by jauneorange »

Hello,

I am using a static IP: 10.3.24.52 / 24 for production netwok and for Isolated network: 10.3.24.1 , masquerade network: 10.255.24.D.

I guess, the issue is coming from the ARP table of the switchs, there are no update MAC address for the adress production 10.3.24.52 when i redeployed fully the proxy appliance.

The temporary solution was to connect to the proxy appliance, ping the gateway then it will update the ARP table of the switch.

I am not sure how to solve the issue on the switch but i have temporary solution for the moment.

Best regards
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If you are assigning a proxy appliance address from the different network (not the same where the Veeam B&R server is located, as in your case), you have to manually add the corresponding route on the router. Otherwise you will not be able to access virtual machines in isolated networks.

This is covered in the corresponding chapter in the user guide:
Important! If you assign a proxy appliance an IP address from the same network where the Veeam Backup server is located, Veeam Backup & Replication will automatically add a new route to the routing table on the Veeam Backup server. If you assign a proxy appliance an IP address from the network other than that where the Veeam Backup server is located, you will have to manually add a new route to the routing table on the router in the production network. Otherwise you will not be able to access virtual machines in isolated networks.
jauneorange
Novice

Post by jauneorange »

Hello,

I have already add a route to the masquerade network 10.255.24.0 on gateway. The issue is i am not enable to communicate from the veeam server to the proxy appliance production network at the beginning.

I need to ping from the proxy appliance to the gateway then it works, then the veeam server can reach the proxy appliance. Weird.

Best regards
dood
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

[MERGED] Stuck at "Starting virtual lab routing engine" (2 s

Post by dood »

Hello,

I post my support case here because some people will maybe be interested by the (futur) answers.
Support Case : [ID#00178159]

I get a ESXI 5 on the first site (~10 VM).
I get a Windows 2008 R2 Server on the second site which runs Veeam B&R 6.5

Sites are connected through a permanent VPN.
Site 1 : 192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0, default gateway : 192.168.1.250
Site 2 : 192.168.25.x/255.255.255.0, default gateway : 192.168.25.253

Veeam backups work great !

So i try to launch a virtual lab to restore for example AD ou Exchange 2003 objects.

After some configuration steps i launch the virtual lab but it gets stuck on "Starting virtual lab routing engine".
I check on the vSphere, virtual lab VM is running but, i can't ping this vm IP from my Veeam Backup server (but can ping any other IP on the site 1 lan).

Here is the virtual lab configuration :

Code: Select all

Lab name:	Exchange Virtual Lab
ESX name:	...
Datastore: ...

Appliance:	
   Name:		Exchange_Virtual_Lab
   Pool name:		Exchange Virtual Lab
   Folder name:	Exchange Virtual Lab

Production network name:Production
   IP:                     192.168.1.100
   Subnet mask:            255.255.255.0