Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lukeup
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Luke

Veeam Configuration Backup Utility

Post by lukeup »

Hello All,

I have set the Veeam Configuration Backup utility to backup daily. Is this all I need to fix Veeam if it is corrupted, does it fully restore the Veeam database or do I need to back up the database as well using SQL Management Studio?

To put it another way, if the Veeam server broke and was replaced would the Veeam Configuration Backup utility bco file be enough to fully recover the Veeam backup server after re-installing, obviously not including the VM backups.

Thanks, Luke
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Re: Veeam Configuration Backup Utility

Post by Cokovic » 1 person likes this post

From my own experience i can tell you that this backup is enough. Works really like a charm and it will completely restore the whole Veeam DB with all job configurations and history. So no need to perform additional SQL backup with Management Studio. And if you've got your repository available at the same location it will rescan it and map it to the existing jobs.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

As mentioned above, the cheer idea of configuration backup that with it there is no longer need to backup VB&R as a whole , or to backup its database by the means of SQL Management Studio. Configuration backup will do the trick by retrieving and storing all configuration data from the VB&R SQL database.

So, Haris is absolutely right – all you need to do in case of disaster is just to re-install VB&R from the scratch and import necessary configuration..

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
lukeup
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Luke

Post by lukeup »

That's great info. Thanks.
flavor4real
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

[MERGED] Configuration Backup question

Post by flavor4real »

Veeam 6.5
What data does the configuration backup file actually contain? and is this file actually a essential file that is needed if a Veeam Backup server needs to be rebuild?
Usually, the Veeam database contains all the necessary data...

Thanks