Management reporting and documentation
brupnick
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Rupnick

Report of All Snapshots

Post by brupnick »

Good afternoon-

Is there a way to generate a report that will show all the snapshots that exists for my VMs? The one snapshot report that is there will only show snaps older than x days/weeks/months, but I'd really like one that shows them all regardless of age.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Report of All Snapshots

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Brian,

To build the report you need, just choose Custom Infrastructure report , then select Virtual Machine as the desired object type, and finally add the required columns (such as Snapshot name, Size, Directory, VM name etc.) to the report.

Hope this helps!
brupnick
Expert

Post by brupnick »

Thanks Vitaliy; this is along the lines of what I'm looking for. I only want this report to show VMs that have snapshots, so I set a custom filter using the "Snapshot: Create time" option. However, it seems as though there is an issue when using this field. I have opened ticket 00155389 with the particulars if you're interested. Also, if you have any other suggestions as to how I can configure this report to only list VMs with snapshots (something like "Snapshot: Name IS NOT NULL"), I'm all ears.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Seems like I've found a more elegant way to achieve what you want - instead of choosing "Virtual Machine" as an object, please select "Snapshot" :) This will automatically filter all VMs without snapshots.
brupnick
Expert

Post by brupnick »

That is much more elegant!

Is there a way to make the Session field variable? Right now, it has today's 3:00 AM session selected, so it will only show snapshots that exists at that time. If I want to run this report and email it weekly, for example, is there a way to automatically change the session date or will that need to be done manually?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I doubt that, but I guess we might be able to add something like "Latest session" to report parameters (will verify it with the dev team), so you could schedule this report on weekly basis and always get the most recent information about your environment.
brupnick
Expert

Post by brupnick »

That would be awesome. Thank you!