I currently use Veeam Backup and Replication in several small infrastructures, always through physical Veeam servers.
Now I need to deploy Veeam on a large infra. Large for me, perhaps not for you...
Here are the main informations :
- vSphere 5.0 Enterprise Plus
- 1 Blade Center
- 8 Blades with 256 Go memory and 2 sockets (10 cores each)
- Hyperthreading not enabled, but we are thinking to enable it
- 250 virtual machines
- 10 TB of vmdk on SAN datastores
We would like to implement Veeam in virtual machines instead of physical servers, because we're in a stream to virtualize all our infrastructure and remove all physical servers. But I never used virtual Veeam server in a production mode, only for tests.
Of course, if such an infrastructure cannot be backed up through virtual Veeam servers, let us know.
Have you already implemented such a solution, or do you have some ideas about the sizing ?
- How many Veeam servers (proxies and repositories, anyway we'll use 1 console)
- How should be sized Veeam servers (how mani vCPU, how many memory)
Of course we could start small and increase infrastructure each time there is a new bottleneck, but we need to plan some purchases : Windows licences for Veeam servers, perhaps a 9th blade if requested Veeam infrastructure is large.
If you have some experience or some tool to size the infrastructure, I would apreciate.
Thanks for any help