Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Dsmelser
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David Smelser

Backup Replica Feature?

Post by Dsmelser »

Is there a way to use a B&R backup as the source for a replica job?

I want to have both a B&R backup and a replica, but I want to avoid reading from the production network twice.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backup Replica Feature?

Post by Gostev »

Hi David, not right now, but this is on our short-term roadmap. Thanks!
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry »

I want one job to do backup and replica on site, backupcopy on site, then backupcopy off site and a replica off site. All while hitting the live data once and over the WAN once using the WAN accelerator. :D
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Larry,

As mentioned above, "replica from backup files" is already included in the short-term feature list. Also, we're planing to expand WAN Accelerator functionality to replication jobs in the next release. So, stay tuned.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

larry wrote:I want one job to do backup and replica on site, backupcopy on site, then backupcopy off site and a replica off site. All while hitting the live data once and over the WAN once using the WAN accelerator. :D
Yes, this scenario will be possible.
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Post by frankive »

This is gonna be a killer-feature! :)
TimTheEnchanter
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew Hatfield

[MERGED] Replicas from Backups

Post by TimTheEnchanter »

I am wondering if it is possible to create replication jobs that are always seeded from backups. Here is what I would like to do.

- I currently have backup jobs for all of the data that I need to archive to tape. I also have replication jobs that replicate critical machines to alternate hardware offsite over a 1Gbps fiber link. I would like to implement backup copy jobs with WAN acceleration to get the data a little further away to a small data center we have in the next state over. The issue is that we only have a DS3 line connecting the main datacenter to the smaller one. I'm going to test running backup copy jobs for all of our servers across this line to see if copying all of them is going to work. I am already trying to replicate some machines over a DS3 in another site and seeing very slow performance so I don't think that's going to work for machines in mass.

My question is: If I can get the backup copy jobs working reliably is there a way that I can create replication jobs at my remote datacenter that seed replicas on hardware at the remote site daily so that I have replicas always ready to go?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Matthew, as you can see from the thread above, this feature is in our plans.