Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
karlochacon
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Carlos Chacon

Different Segments Replication recommendation

Post by karlochacon »

hi guys

I have to implement Veeam Replication but Site A has this network segment 192.168.2.x and Recovery Site 192.168.3.x
This company has Active Directory, DHCP, File Servers and backups servers

what do you usually recommend for your customers when VMs in Recovery Site need to be up I mean in address ip conversion? NAT? Extended VLANs? any other
Well in this environment I am working is not big just 6 VMs, but one of the main things to think about is the Active Directory.

thanks a lot
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Different Segments Replication recommendation

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

For Active Directory, your best design is to ignore replication and create two separated sets of Domain Controllers, two at each site, and let them replicate via AD Replica. In this way you can have a complete site failover without loosing AD at all...
DHCP cannot be replicated since it serves two different subnets at each site, so you only need to backup them for local restore needs.

For all other servers, the connectivity type you are going to choose mostly depends on the connection type you have available. Telco usually does not give customers Layer2 connections, but something routed at L3. It's ok to use L3 routed networks, you can use Veeam Re-IP features to replicate VM from one site to the other.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
karlochacon
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Carlos Chacon

Post by karlochacon »

thanks a lot
I was reading this also this topic. I see Veeam Re-IP will assign the new IPs to my VMs so it will be my job that final users will see the services under these new IPs. Am I right here?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Right, only remember two things:
- Re-IP only works for Windows VMs
- if you open services via dns names and you are not using dynamic updates on dns, you would also need to update those data. Nothing related to Veeam, but nonetheless something you have to deal with...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1