Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tylerhen
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tyler Hennessey

New VM or Source VM suspended after restore

Post by tylerhen »

I'm testing Veeam on a standalone host. I've backed up a VM. When I try to restore that VM to the same host, same datastore, same network, etc., with a new name, the job fails but leaves the VM and that VM or the source VM is in a "suspended" mode in vsphere.

Also, when I look at the display name in vsphere and the folder that holds the files, the changed name is correct. However if I look at the vmx and vmdk files, they have the original name of the source vm. That can't be right.

Even if I leave the nic disconnected, it fails the same way.

There has to be a way to do this. For instance, if you wanted to restore a backup of a production vm for the purposes of testing or development, and wanted to leave the source vm untouched and running.

thanks for any help
tylerhen
Novice

Re: New VM or Source VM suspended after restore

Post by tylerhen »

Actually I get the problem even if I completely delete the source VM and restore leaving same name, destination, etc.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Tyler, typically this type of restore should work. What is the actual error the restore job fails with? Have you contacted technical support with this issue? I encourage you to do this, unless you have done already.
tylerhen
Novice

Post by tylerhen »

Something about not being able to restore while the VM is in that state: "suspended." However I have no idea why the VM is going into suspended mode. It's the restore job creating the vm and putting it in that state.

Support told me to patch the server. I just downloaded the server, how is it not patched?

I uninstalled.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

tylerhen wrote:Support told me to patch the server. I just downloaded the server, how is it not patched?
Do you mean Veeam B&R server? Patches are not incorporated into the basic release, you should install them separately.

What is your support case number?