Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bctirado
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Brian

Rotated drive letter issue - multiple Veeam Backup Servers

Post by bctirado »

Hi Guys,

Hopefully I'm not just missing something but here's what I'm seeing (I searched the forums too)-

Across 4 of the 6 v8 upgrades I've done so far the backup decides to pick what seems like a random drive for the backup target. Looking in the status report is says "Rotated drive letter changed to xx", this can be the same drive that my backup is currently pointing just in a different sub-folder or a completely different drive.

I've been over my settings a number of times and the only thing I see is under Backup Repositories/Repository/Advanced is the "This repository is backed by rotated hard drives", this setting is off on all of my servers. I even tried to toggle it on and then back off to see if maybe it would refresh some reg keys or something but the behavior remains.

Also what's interesting is my Backup repository will be reassigned to a different drive than I initially pick and it won't let me change it without creating a new repository.

Any ideas or anyone else seeing this too?

Brian
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Rotated drive letter issue - multiple Veeam Backup Serve

Post by foggy »

Brian, is there a chance that you've specified the registry key that handles rotated drives on those Veeam B&R instances previously? In any case, please contact technical support, this behavior is completely unexpected.

Btw, what kind of backup repositories do you use (local or remote)?
bctirado
Influencer

Post by bctirado »

Local for the backup repositories.

The only key that we've ever manually specified as far as I know is the ForceCreateMissingVBK one. Is that the key you're referring to foggy?

I'll get a support case going this morning.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, this is the key I was talking about and probably it caused the issue. You can try to remove the key and use corresponding GUI option introduced in v8 instead (or remove the key or set it to zero, if you do not utilize the rotated drives scenario), however the behavior still looks confusing so I recommend to proceed with investigation with support.

Actually, the key should continue to work after the upgrade the same way it worked previously (btw, do you utilize the rotated drives scenario on those instances?). Is there a chance that backups were manually copied over between the folders or removed at the same time the upgrade procedure took place?
bctirado
Influencer

Post by bctirado » 1 person likes this post

Just wanted to update this in case someone else is having the same issue. Removing the ForceCreateMissingVBK key solved my issue and we are no longer getting random drives selected for backup. To answer your question foggy we are robocopying the backups off to removable drives so they did have copies of the backup files and that's seems like why the target was moving around.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks for finding time to update us on the resolution, much appreciated.