Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
fafa24
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Some questions about Backup copy job encryption

Post by fafa24 »

Dear All,

I understand from the user guide V8 that between the WAN accelerator the transport over the internet is by default (mean always) AES 256 bit encrypted without special configuration. Right? A special configuration would only be needed within LAN network.

I understand that when I enable backup copy job encryption, it will be an encryption on the target. Which means the backups files on the target repository will be encrypted. Right?

What is when I have a backup copy job and there already exist backup files in the target repository and I decide to edit the backup copy job and turn on encryption. Will the new backup files start to encrypt and what happens to the backup files already on the target?

Thank you!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Some questions about Backup copy job encryption

Post by Shestakov »

Hello.
fafa24 wrote:What is when I have a backup copy job and there already exist backup files in the target repository and I decide to edit the backup copy job and turn on encryption. Will the new backup files start to encrypt and what happens to the backup files already on the target?
New files will be encrypted starting from a new chain, existing files will stay unencrypted.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Some questions about Backup copy job encryption

Post by Shestakov »

Note, that in the current version, backup copy job never starts a new chain. So to start encrypting backup copy files you need to delete all existing files of the job or just create a new backup copy job with encryption enabled.
We are working on improvements in the next product release.
Thanks!