Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Munnkee
Lurker
Liked: never

Veeam Best practice in secure environments

Post by Munnkee »

Hi

I work in a secure hosting environment where the local machine administrators are renamed by default and UAC is mandatory. We host environments for multiple customers so need application aware backups with everything being hosted on vSphere

I have read the posts around the requirements to either disable UAC or leave the default administrator account as "administrator" so understand this is a limitation that cannot currently be overcome.

My question is, are others in a similar situation and how are you addressing it, or are you? Similarly are there any Veeam development plans to better work around this issue as I can see it coming up again if Veeam is to be adopted in the more secure areas of the hosting market

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Best practice in secure environments

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,

I wouldn't call it Veeam issue, as local admin privileges are required to orchestrate VSS process and do application-aware image backups. BTW, I cannot find any post saying renaming of the admin account. Can you please post a link?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Best practice in secure environments

Post by foggy »

The mentioned limitation applies to processing via VIX only. If you have direct network connection to the backed up VMs, you're good to go.