Business categorization for your virtual environment
ashleyw
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ashley Watson

Business view web console missing in update 4

Post by ashleyw »

Hi,

I saw update 4 had been released for Veeam One, so I applied it and now there appears to be no web console on port 1340 any more?
Surely this is not the case?
I have now rolled back.
Prior to update 4 (for years) we were using categorisations to allow for internal recharge to our various teams.
The business view was available view a simple easy to use web view and we were able to give internal teams access to that web view that greatly assisted in minimising sprawl etc.
After applying update 4, the web console on 1340 is not now available, so exactly where is that same functionality now so that we can let our teams know, should we reapply update 4?
We need this is a web view format to avoid any of the users having to install products on their desktops along with the same export format as this is part of one of our accounting processes.
It was the workspace view that was particularly useful as teams could look at the VMs categorised to their P&L code for reconciling against the recharge summaries from our accountants.

Please advise.

cheers
Ashley
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Business view web console missing in update 4

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
it is in the monitor client now and usability was also simplified. See here

Best regards,
Hannes
MichaelCade
Veeam Software
Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Michael Cade

Post by MichaelCade » 1 person likes this post

Hi Ashley,

The Business View module has been moved to within the monitor console. The major underpinning aspect of this change also includes a single wizard to create the categorisations.

A pain point was that one object could only be part of one group, this is now resolved and allows for objects to span multiple groups to better define the business requirements.

Finally, is the ability to not only pull data from the virtual infrastructure but also able to send data back in the form of tags. The ability to pull already virtualised tags from vSphere or Hyper-V into Business View and report and monitor against those, but also the ability to use the categorisation to create new tags based on specifics such as CPU, Memory or location.

All existing groups and catagories will still be present in the new view, this will now be found within the Veeam ONE monitor console.

Here you will find all additional new functionality within the user guide - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/m ... l?ver=95u4
Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
Email: Michael.Cade@Veeam.com
Twitter: @MichaelCade1
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Ashley,
As Michael mentioned all categories and groups will remain after an update.
We also added more categorization parameters and made it possible to categorize computers protected by Veeam Agent.
And yes, since all functionality is moved to Monitor, web version is not available.
We need this is a web view format to avoid any of the users having to install products on their desktops along with the same export format as this is part of one of our accounting processes.
It was the workspace view that was particularly useful as teams could look at the VMs categorised to their P&L code for reconciling against the recharge summaries from our accountants.
So the use case is to check objects categorization and manually adjust it if needed? For this you need to install light-weight Veeam ONE Monitor client.

Thanks!
ashleyw
Service Provider

Post by ashleyw »

thanks guys, appreciate the comments.
The web view was important - not so much from a categorisation maintenance perspective but being able to give a simple URL to a project team and for that project team to have visibility of the resources that the project was consuming.
Often these people will be non technical project managers that have to keep within project constraints.
The old web view was ideal, and had directly lead to substantial reduction in resource usage (which is good!).
This use case doesn't really seem to be satisfied by the removal of the web view to be honest.
As there is no html5 based web client for Veeam One Monitor for update 4, its not as useful for us.

thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

...being able to give a simple URL to a project team and for that project team to have visibility of the resources that the project was consuming.
Could you specify what kind of information is needed to be shared.
You can create custom dashboards using Business View groups as a scope in Veeam ONE Reporter (which is still web-based) and share the dashboards with the project managers.
ashleyw
Service Provider

Post by ashleyw »

Our project teams used to simply be able to view the web based UI of the pre-update 4 version and see the VMs in use (VM name, categories, resource allocation etc) not just by the VMs that had been categorised under their P&L's but the P&Ls that they might have collaborated with - which is simply just the workspace view in read only mode (which was managed by user group). Importantly the complete view could easily be exported in excel format by the accounting team so they could allocate the running costs based on consumption.
The overall effect was efficient management of the resources being consumed through easy visibility and subsequent cost allocation.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Got it.
Do you mean VMs widget? It can be found in Monitor now and partially recreated with dashboards in Reporter.
We will consider adding the widget to Reporter in next releases.
ashleyw
Service Provider

Post by ashleyw »

thanks,

I have created a screen shot of the pre-update 4 screen which we would like to see incorporated back in the product.
To re-iterate, the advantage of this is;
1) Its a web view so doesn't require any software to be installed for users to be able to view the content.
2) Users are able to select their P&L code/catageory/whatever to show the list filtered by their business unit
3) The users are easily able to export form Excel.
4) Users are able to look at resource usage in an simple easy grid view.

The update4 removes these features so in our case we'll stay on the previous update until the removed features can be readded.

Screen shot of the image is below;
https://imgur.com/A9QKOoM

cheers
Ashley
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the clarification, Ashley.
The mentioned view was not removed, but was moved to Monitor.
As I said we will think of more Business View visibility in Veeam ONE Reporter in next version.
ashleyw
Service Provider

Post by ashleyw »

thanks @Shestakov,

As said, the data in our case is used by people who are not infrastructure focused but instead business people such as project/programme managers etc.
The Monitor view does not cater for that audience as its primarily to satisfy the needs of operational staff and requires a thick client to be installed and as said the web based Reporter view does not currently have the information we need, so for now we'll need to revert back prior to update 4.
MichaelCade
Veeam Software
Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Michael Cade

Post by MichaelCade » 1 person likes this post

Hi Ashley, before you do roll back I want to make sure you are aware of this patch for Veeam one 9.5 update 3 which brings compatibility with Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5 update 4

https://www.veeam.com/kb2832

Nikita will be able to confirm but this should have the separate Veeam ONE business view and thus allow you to still monitor Veeam Backup & Replication without also rolling that back to Update 3 and missing out on the new functionality.

Hope this is useful.
Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
Email: Michael.Cade@Veeam.com
Twitter: @MichaelCade1
ashleyw
Service Provider

Post by ashleyw »

Thanks Michael, I wasn't aware of this.
In our case, this specific instance is not using Cloud Connect so we aren't negatively impacted by rolling back VeeamOne.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the reminder, Michael!
Indeed the compatibility patch is needed if you want to work with VBRu4 and ONEu3.
Jan Peter
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jan Peter ter Horst

Post by Jan Peter »

It would have been nice if the removal of the “business view” web console on port 1340 in the Release Notes of update 4. was mentioned in the release notes.
Now I had to use google to find this in on this forum why my favorites where not working anymore after the update.
But I like the new custom reports and other improvements.

Thanks in advance ,
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Jan, welcome to the community and thanks for the kind words!
Since main Business View functionality was preserved, we told about new features in What's New document:
Business View 2.0. Improve visibility for virtual and agent-based infrastructures by easily grouping VMs and computers into business groups to satisfy specific business needs, through a rebuilt categorization engine embedded in Veeam ONE Monitor.
By the way, could you specify if having Web Business View is critical vs. Business View embedded to Veeam ONE monitor.
davide.asts
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Davide

[MERGED] Don't upgrade to U4 or you lose Web Business View

Post by davide.asts »

Hi,

we have upgrade to U4 and we have lost the Web Business View :(

Is there a way to have it online again? Just for my info, I haven't seen this in any upgrade document… did you read it before upgrading?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Davide,

Can you please tell us what is the most missing feature you were used to in the web-based Business View UI?

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Davide,
I haven't seen this in any upgrade document
Just curious what upgrade documents you read.
As for Business View, as described above all BV features remained, but was moved to Monitor.
ashleyw
Service Provider

Post by ashleyw »

hi guys, its clear that the functionality was moved to Monitor, but this does not suit all use cases (such as ours) that were dependent on the web view to provide a business focused view of project resources.
I'd like to see the web interface being returned to the product and the upgrade documentation specifically modified to mention that the Business web view has been removed in this update altering people before they have to downgrade.

thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Ashley,
I totally understand your concerns and see in what cases web Business View is more useful than desktop one. Most likely we will not return Business View as a separate tool, but provide more Business View functions to Veeam ONE Reporter, which is also web based. Cannot promise any ETAs though.
Thanks!
davide.asts
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Davide

Post by davide.asts »

Shestakov wrote: Feb 12, 2019 12:01 pm Hi Davide,

Just curious what upgrade documents you read.
As for Business View, as described above all BV features remained, but was moved to Monitor.
Sorry but
  • Business View 2.0. Improve visibility for virtual and agent-based infrastructures by easily grouping VMs and computers into business groups to satisfy specific business needs, through a rebuilt categorization engine embedded in Veeam ONE Monitor.
doesn't mean "we remove", just you add a new functionality.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

The functionality was not removed, it's now available in Veeam ONE Monitor.
I do understand there is no Web UI version anymore, but the point was to move outdated Business View to fast and handy Monitor.
Compmor
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Compmor

Business view web console missing in update 4

Post by Compmor »

I have downloaded the v 4.4.1 update. However, my older version still remains with recent business card work in place. In the new update, the Recent is grayed out. How do I import data from the old version?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Compmor,
Could you provide the build number of your current version, as I'm not sure what "v 4.4.1 update" is?
Thanks