Business categorization for your virtual environment
jtupeck
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Jason Tupeck

Business View Web Console Performance

Post by jtupeck »

Good morning, all. I am, by no means, a web server 'guy,' so this may be a very basic question that can be answered.I really don't know.

I would really like a bit more performance behind my VeeamONE Reporter and Business View (mostly just Business View) web consoles. It takes a good 30+ seconds to just log into the Business View page, while the icon sits there and spins. Then, when I click to the Workspace tab, where we manage all our vSphere Tags that drive our backups/replicas and failover plans (among other things for reporting and orchestration in our environment) it takes another 20-30 seconds for that page to load. When I edit any tags for one, or more VMs, the site takes quite a long time to write them to the database and I am unable to do anything while, again, the icon sits there and spins. Other pages that I may have opened up in other tabs also become completely unresponsive while the tags get updated.

I just wanted to pop in here and see if there were any basic items that I can look at for performance on this machine from a web server standpoint. The DB runs on SQL enterprise cluster, not locally, and it is pretty large, coming in around 40GB. The VeeamONE server itself is 4 core, 16GB of RAM, and VeeamONE Monitor says it's averaging around 20% CPU and RAM utilization, so I don't think there is much to gain from increasing those resources. Are there any IIS optimizations, or caching settings that I can look at? What about at the database level? Any and all advice would be most welcome.

Thank you!

[FYI I have not filed a support case, but will if the Veeam team thinks its necessary. - I just have a gut feeling there are some tweaks that can be done and it's not something to fill up Support's time with]
jtupeck
Enthusiast

Re: Business View Web Console Performance

Post by jtupeck »

I am also looking to change the session timeout for both web sites. I found the web.config files here:

C:\Program Files\Veeam\Veeam ONE\Veeam ONE Business View Web\
C:\Program Files\Veeam\Veeam ONE\Veeam ONE Reporter Web\

And I edited the "sessionState timeout" value from 720 to 10800 then restarted the server, but it does not seem to have made any difference in how long I can stay logged into the web console without having to log back in. Any assistance here would be helpful as well.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Jason,
You are right, Veeam ONE Business View Web is quite outdated and slow. That's why we moved its functionality to Veeam ONE Monitor in the v9.5 update 4, which is already released. So the best way to speed up Business View is to upadte :)
Your servers have enough CPU and RAM, you can contact the support team to get assistance with configurable timeouts, but I would just update the product to the latest version.
Thanks!
jtupeck
Enthusiast

Post by jtupeck »

Woah! I didn't see the U4 release notes for VeeamONE. I will look into this and see if it solves my issues. Thank you.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

It was just release this week. Let us know how you like the new version of Business View.
jtupeck
Enthusiast

Post by jtupeck »

Ok.....so, first thoughts:

This is not much of an improvement in speed, at all. In fact, it is considerably slower at times, especially when I attempt to search and filter the view of VM objects down to something smaller.

Additionally, It looks like there is going to be a fair amount of reworking our categories/groups that form our vSphere Tags. All the rules I had in place prior to the upgrade were automatically incorporated into the VM Groups and some of them make no sense. There are multiple (in the 10s) linked rules based on virtual infrastructure location of a VM, that I have had to unlink and delete, then rework to just handle the categorization I had previously put in place.

There are also a lot of VM objects that are now mis-categorized in VeeamONE Business View and I am concerned that it will overwrite our vSphere Tags and wreak havoc with our backup jobs. For instance, there are VERY few VMs in the 'Backup Policy>Business Critical' Category>Group. The Backup Policy category drives ALL our backups. If, as I suspect has happened, the virtual infrastructure is overwritten and declassifies 100s of VMs from this tag, I am going to have a massive project on my hands to get things working again.

In the Backup Policy category alone, there are 20+ different tags. We have 14 different categories with anywhere between 6 and 24 groups that drive backup, backup copy, backup retention and Veeam Availability Orchestrator FailOver Plans. If any of our 6 vCenters are overwritten, I am going ot have to question the integrity of literally ALL the metadata in these tags and possibly start from scratch. The scheduled process to sync VeeamONE and vCenter objects is running now and I should know more soon.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

This is not much of an improvement in speed, at all. In fact, it is considerably slower at times, especially when I attempt to search and filter the view of VM objects down to something smaller.
That's strange, our tests showed fair performance gain. Especially switching to new tabs and the categorization process itself. However, maybe some operations such as search and filter indeed doesn't work much faster. We will double-check it and speed up if possible. Thanks for pointing at that.
Additionally, It looks like there is going to be a fair amount of reworking our categories/groups that form our vSphere Tags. All the rules I had in place prior to the upgrade were automatically incorporated into the VM Groups and some of them make no sense. There are multiple (in the 10s) linked rules based on virtual infrastructure location of a VM, that I have had to unlink and delete, then rework to just handle the categorization I had previously put in place.
Did you have rules that were not linked to groups?
There are also a lot of VM objects that are now mis-categorized in VeeamONE Business View and I am concerned that it will overwrite our vSphere Tags and wreak havoc with our backup jobs. For instance, there are VERY few VMs in the 'Backup Policy>Business Critical' Category>Group. The Backup Policy category drives ALL our backups. If, as I suspect has happened, the virtual infrastructure is overwritten and declassifies 100s of VMs from this tag, I am going to have a massive project on my hands to get things working again.
Objects should not be mis-categorized, if categorization changed after the upgrade, please contact Veeam support to investigate it. They can also help you get everything back.
Thank you!