Feedback and Feature Requests

Business categorization for your virtual environment

Re: Feedback and Feature Requests

Veeam Logoby knuther » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:25 pm

Gostev wrote:Hello, more like future releases.

Curious but how far out we talking i have a real need to replicate 300 odd vm's and am currently doing it with priority groups and would love to create replication / backup jobs based on View collections.
knuther
Lurker

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:32 pm

This functionality is not going to be included to the next major release.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1144 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby gittings » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Sub-Categories
The ability to create sub-categories would help prevent the creation of many uneccessary categories.

For example. List a module then seperate the module by life-cycle ( dev, qa, prod )
gittings
Novice

Full Name: Mark

Veeam Logoby giacy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:15 am

The ability to put Vm's in multiple group. For instance a vm that host webserver for multiple customer. Or a Database that host db for multiple customer.

Bye.

Giacy.
giacy
Novice

Full Name: Giacinto Chianchiano

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:17 am

Actually, you can already do this even now, just create a secondary category and place the VM wherever you need. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby stingray75 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:38 pm

We sync Veeam with our asset management database, so Veeam records the Application Name, Business Unit etc for every VM.

With v8 we're now using restricted views so teams can only see VM they're permissioned on in vCenter. This works great in the infrastructure view, but in Business View they can still see BV categories for which they have no VMs. For example, our Application Name category has 500+ apps in it but some users only have VMs for 20 of those apps. I'd like Veeam Monitor to only show the apps they're permissioned on (ie the ones with + next to the folder name) instead of showing all 500.

Thanks,

Matt
stingray75
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Matthew Ray

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:21 pm

Makes sense, I will ask our dev team to take a look a this scenario.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby jignpig » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:22 pm

I have been looking through the reports and found that the VM Configurations report seems close to what I'm looking for. I was previously looking into VMWare's IT Business Management product which is a pretty thorough solution for IT costing (chargeback/showback) but it is extremely expensive. If there was a way to start creating a page where we can enter some general costs, say an average cost for CPU, RAM , Storage so we can show our customers the cost of the IT services they consume would be a huge benefit. I'm in the public sector and it would help us greatly in providing cost metrics for project budgets or annual budgets.
jignpig
Lurker

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:17 pm

Hello jignpig,

To say the truth we have chargeback/showback implementation in our roadmap, so your feedback is going to be really helpful.
Could you specify what kind of resources do you want to see in this kind of report(CPU, Memory, Storage, Network etc.)?
How do you charge them, for used, provisioned space or somehow else?

Thanks in advance!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 430 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby jignpig » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:58 pm 2 people like this post

Unfortunately this is a new frontier for us to try and figure out what our true costs are. Our agency just recently centralized all IT budgets in my division, now everyone wants a piece of the budget for their own needs. My goal is to really show them the true costs of the environment because often they just think this stuff is free like water.

It’s really a two path approach. First, we need to start the process of showing our customers when they are over provisioned on resources and start reclaiming wasted resources. The nice thing about that is that we can correlate a cost per vCPU, RAM, Storage, etc. to the actual wasted resource.

So a message from us may be “ Hello Mr. customer, your virtual machine XXX is over provisioned on vCPUs and RAM. Our trend analysis shows that you could function optimally a X vCPUs and X amount of RAM, which would save you $xxx.xx dollars in your allocated budget.”

The next use case for us is really in the capacity planning/project management. We often have large system projects that require numerous virtual infrastructure resources and if we have costs in Veeam we would be able to tell project managers how much to budget for in their funding requests.

There’s plenty of other metrics that we’re thinking about such as software licensing costs, different costs for tiered equipment like all flash array storage versus slower cheap disk storage, disaster recovery service costs and so on. But for now we’re just going to take things slow.
jignpig
Lurker

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:29 pm

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

When you're talking about wasted resources, do you refer to the output of oversized VMs and Idle/Powered Off VMs reports? In other words, when we highlight unused resources for these VMs you would like to add $ amount and this should be enough to justify resource reallocation/reconfiguration (if needed)?

Speaking of project management, did you have a chance to review our "deployment projects" functionality? I'm just thinking whether adding chargeback capabilities to this engine would be exactly what you're looking for.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby kadirbakac » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:26 am

Hello,
is there a way to increase the total number of categories over 25?
If not possible, it is a Feature Request from our customer.
kadirbakac
Veeam Software

Full Name: kadir bakac

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:11 am

I don't see any reasons why not to increase this hard cap, but can you please elaborate on what is the use case? How did this customer categorize his VMs?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby kadirbakac » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:41 am

They are serving online payment infrastructure to the banks and they categorize by customer and location.
kadirbakac
Veeam Software

Full Name: kadir bakac

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:05 am

Ok, I will log this FR in our tracking system.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to Business View