Business categorization for your virtual environment
adept1
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

I’m confused about Business View email notifications

Post by adept1 »

Ok, so we’ve been running Veeam ONE for a long time, and a big annoyance of mine was always how all the notification emails would basically go to all of our admins in each country, despite them only being responsible for their local servers. I am one of those admins.

So I was poking around recently and I didn’t realize all the changes made with Business View in 9.5 u4 until now. Immediately I removed myself from the notifications configuration in Infrastructure View (server settings), and added my name to the relevant Business View groups. I triggered some alerts and expected to receive the email based on the server being a member of that Business View group. However, I’m not getting anything now.

Perhaps I don’t understand how it’s supposed to work. Can a Veeam ONE expert please chime in on this and let customers know how to transition to Business View based email notifications?

Thanks!
-adept1
adept1
Enthusiast

Re: I’m confused about Business View email notifications

Post by adept1 »

Ok so I think I figured it out, but I don’t like the resolution. Am I supposed to add “business group owner” to every single alarm?

If so, is this scriptable somehow? Not looking forward to adding this into dozens (hundreds?) of alarms.

Thanks,
-adept1
adept1
Enthusiast

Post by adept1 » 3 people like this post

So I figured out that I can edit multiple alarms simultaneously, so it wasn't nearly as painful as I had feared. Looks like a have gotten it working in the way I want now, so it's all good.

So for anyone who wants to do the same thing, here's the way (in 9.5u4). Thank God 9.5u4 got rid of the Business View web interface and this can all be done in the main client now.

Create Business View categories for your virtual servers, hosts, datastores, etc.
Assign a business owner email address to each.
Modify your alarms to send to the business owner (you can do this in addition to, or instead of the default group.

I hope it's helpful to someone.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
Thanks for the kind words about new Business View!
Probably we need to add an information message about the need to edit alarm assignments to the step where you configure the group admin. Or even a checkbox to automatically edit the alarm assignments according to new BV group admins.