Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
Kitkat
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: KK

& character in file shares

Post by Kitkat »

Hello,

I am backing up a Netapp filer with many shares. Two of the shares have ‘&’ in the name and this is not being picked up on the storage, let alone during the backup job. Are some special characters a limitation?
Thanks.
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 131 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Re: & character in file shares

Post by ronnmartin61 »

Perhaps I'm missing something but the '&' character in a share name didn't seem to present any issues in my lab ONTAP environment (image link follows). Not sure what you mean by "picked up on the storage" though. You may want to ping support...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qp4wa464lhd20 ... p.png?dl=0
Kitkat
Enthusiast

Post by Kitkat »

Hi ronnmartin61

Thank for testing this, please could you try a share named 'smbshares & test' with spaces. I be interested to see what happens..

In our environment, we have the netapp added with storage integration and even when creating a new job, when we add all the presented CIFs shares, we see everything except for shares with & symbol in the name. Thanks.
Kitkat
Enthusiast

Post by Kitkat »

Actually, i don't think it will make a difference. It seems an issue on our side and effect multiple Netapps and VBR server. I have a ticket opened so I’m hoping we get to the bottom of it. Appreciate you effort running the test!
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 131 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Post by ronnmartin61 »

Yes I see the same behavior i.e. the share becomes "invisible" if the ampersand is flanked by spaces. If I choose SVM or volume level the job does not pick up the share. I can choose the individual share itself in the job but it does not appear in the job definition. Please continue to work with support...