Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
gingerdazza
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Dazza

Direct to Azure Blob

Post by gingerdazza »

We have a NAS solution which has it's own native D2D backup capabilities. In order to to accommodate the "2 different media" of the 3-2-1 rule, I am exploring options. One option was a tape solution. But I'm exploring the idea that I could instead procure Veeam NAS backup licenses, and backup the NAS direct to Azure Blob Hot tier with immutability. We will have Azure ExpressRoute in place, and this backup would not be our primary backup copy (that would be the native D2D solution on-premises). It would be a "get out of jail" backup copy. Any thoughts here?

What would then be the most efficient way to achieve 180 day retention on that copy? Would it need to be a GFS configuration?

Lastly, how do I calculate the total Azure Blob storage required for this setup?

Thank you
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Direct to Azure Blob

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello Dazza

NAS backups do not provide GFS backup jobs. It will be a forever incremental backup.

You can find information about sizing in our best practice guide:
https://bp.veeam.com/vbr/2_Design_Struc ... srepo.html

For Azure Blob, you will also need to consider the API calls and egress traffic costs. If it's only a second copy, you may want to check out other providers such as Wasabi which don't bill you for API calls and egress traffic.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
gingerdazza
Expert

Post by gingerdazza »

Thanks....

Is there any easy way to calculate likely API metrics/costs for Veeam NAS?

There wouldn't be much in the way of egress, as this wouldn't be our primary backup. Most restores would be sourced from elsewhere.
Wasabi is a good idea, but due to the due diligence on-boarding, connectivity requirements, operational on-boarding, and cloud sprawl, I think we'd be safer/simpler sticking with Azure.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello Dazza

You're welcome.

Unfortunately we don't have a publicly available calculator today. The tool we have today is only internal.
I suggest you contact your local Veeam SE. They have access to our internal calculator and will be able to help you with the calculations.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
gingerdazza
Expert

Post by gingerdazza »

Very frustrating that such information isn't available. But thank you