Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
4braKadabra
Lurker
Liked: never

NAS File Server synchronization with Windows Server File Server

Post by 4braKadabra »

Hello,
I have file server no.1 on a NAS Asustor AS6204T and file server no.2 on Windows Server 2022 Standard.
File server no.1 is currently used by users, but I plan to migrate the data to file server no.2 and cut off no.1

I am looking for a solution to sync/update files from File Server no.1 to File Server no.2

The synchronisation would take place every night, until the day that nr.1 is cut off and users are switched to using files from nr.2
Scheme of folders and files on no. 2 must then be identical to that on no. 1.

I currently use a "Free File Sync" solution that enables this synchronisation, but I would like to centralise my backup solution and synchronise this with Veeam.
Does Veeam have this functionality?

My Veeam license is Veeam Data Platform Essentials
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: NAS File Server synchronization with Windows Server File Server

Post by Mildur »

Hello 4braKadabra

Welcome to the forum.

Veeam Backup & Replication does not provide a file replication feature.
You can create a backup and then restore that data. But you can't use Veeam to run a daily synchronization between two file shares to update deleted, added and updated files on a daily base on the target file server.

We have file copy jobs, but they are rather limited. They only copy files from a to b. They don't remove older files from the target location if they were removed from the source location.

Personally, I recommend to still use one of the free file sync tools. I always had good experience with FastCopy:
https://fastcopy.jp/

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software