Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
mark49808
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Vast data backup integration

Post by mark49808 »

Curious if backing up from Vast as a NAS device is on the roadmap anywhere? i see the typical marketing for using Vast as a repo target, but i'm looking at the other way around to back up from NFS/SMB hosted by Vast with API-integration (storage snapshots, etc). Same things other bigger vendors have.

Thanks in advance!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Vast data backup integration

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello Mark

If your NAS storage appliance is providing the storage snapshot in a folder, you can use the following setting:
„Backup from a storage snapshot at the following path“

Combined with pre job scripts which creates the snapshot you can do file share backups from storage snapshots.

Looks like it could be possible:
Snapshot folder:
https://support.vastdata.com/hc/en-us/a ... -Snapshots
Scripted snapshots: https://support.vastdata.com/hc/en-us/a ... 4126077887

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
ger.itpro
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Schaefer

Post by ger.itpro »

Hello,

can you share any kind of roadmap if VAST storage systems will be more integrated like HPE 3PAR/Primera/Nimble?
After the Alletra MP was released (what is in fact a HPE storage bundled with the VAST software for the NAS part) it would be nice to know if there is anything on the roadmap.

Thanks and Best regards
Daniel
mark49808
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Post by mark49808 »

Fully understood I can do the scripting workaround as i've done that with other less known vendors. But its much simpler if Veeam handles it all via API for me :). Otherwise i have to work through all the logic around scripting/scheduling/deleting/response codes/etc. And to be honest developers at Veeam are much better equipped to do that.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Based on what HPE told us, the Alletra MP block storage part will be compatible with our existing Alletra integration. So customers can likely use from day one the integration. We will confirm this as soon as HPE makes a lab available to us. You can help by raising awareness within HPE.

The Alletra MP filer extension can be backed up today with our NAS backup. Snapshot processing with the scripting method defined by Mildur above will be available at the same time when we had a chance to test the system. To bring the same functionality then to our user interface is a possible next step. It depends a bit on the plans from HPE as we usually write integrations together with the vendor. (See latest release of the HPE own XP8 universal storage API integration).
ger.itpro
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Schaefer

Post by ger.itpro »

@Andreas thanks for the clarification; I will ask HPE.