Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
Peejay62
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Peter Jansen

Add NFS share, define access

Post by Peejay62 »

Hi,

I might be missing something, but when I add a NFS File share there is no option to specify any access credentials. So how does it work? How can I read data with a backupjob running from my backupserver /proxy server. That access has to be granted somewhere I expect. With an SMB share you define access credentials I don't see anything for NFS. Can anybody explain this a little?

thanks, Peter
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Add NFS share, define access

Post by PetrM »

Hi Peter,

You can just follow this wizard and make sure that the selected proxies can access the share. After that, you can run File Share backup job.

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Peter,

NFS does not support user authentication, so you must add servers eligible to read from the NFS share to the NFS server permission list (read permissions are enough for backup but not enough for restore). When saying server I refer to backup proxies set in the NFS file share properties (you may have the default file proxy set on the VBR server). Thanks!
mark49808
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Post by mark49808 »

Old thread but facing the same issue. Do you then have to set the file system ACL to everyone Read and just deal with the lack of security, other than the host list? That seems not ideal as we'll often have shares locked down to specific users/groups to various subfolders. Especially when talking about nfsv4 or any file system where Active Directory users are involved.

NFS access may be based on source IP, but the underlying file system definitely is not.