Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
Schnuecker
Influencer
Liked: never

Best way to backup

Post by Schnuecker »

Hello,

i got windows file server with iscsi connected to our nas. Which way would be the best to backup the files faster?

Currently i am on 9.5 an considering upgrading to 11, because of this NAS File Share fearure. I readed the article but i am not quiet sure if i can use it since i am using iscsi.

Would it still benefit if i add the windows server as File Share, since the windows Server has SMB share ? Or would be a local agent which can backup the iscsi drive completely be better?
(Since i am using the server task currently)

My problem is that a certain folder is to big and takes over the night into the working hours, where i already set up a job termination since the hourly backups will not work anymore because of the locked vm. (Or is that a option too where vm can take multiple jobs?)
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Best way to backup

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Schnuecker,

Our powerful NAS backup is a go-to technology for your usage scenario. It utilizes a forever incremental backup approach, transferring only changed data which will minimize the incremental backup duration while also retaining file history to provide flexible, granular, and quick file restores.

Yes, you may add the server to VBR as a simple SMB share and start backing it up right away.

Thanks
Schnuecker
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by Schnuecker »

So even if i go over the same server through SMB Share instead of a server task, it would be faster?

If i got right since the server task are excuted on the vm/server, would it benefit if i add backup proxy like where B&R is installed on the big main server, would it be faster? Or would i add another step since the server task connects directly to my backup repository (which also nas, but added on B&R on main server).

(The windows file server is just small vm like with 4 cores and 8 gb ram)
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

NAS backup should be faster and more flexible when it comes to file share backups, but keep in mind that you should be backing up the OS and related software (if present) separately. NAS backup also provides specific File backup proxies that could help to overcome certain networking and infrastructure-related issues and improve data processing speed.

A properly configured Backup proxy that is used for VM backups can improve the data processing speed of VM backups, but at first, you should identify what component is causing the bottleneck.

Anyway, NAS backup is definitely worth checking because it was designed specifically for the use case you are describing. I would give it a shot to just compare the speed with VM backup and only then start digging into bottleneck analysis if still actual :).

Thanks