Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
i.stajcic
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Igor Stajcic

Change main backup Repository in Veeam File Share Backup Job

Post by i.stajcic »

I'm doing POC for a small company which wants to introduce VBR as their backup/DR solution. Among other things, I'm running a File Share Backup job which backups some shares from a QNAP device in the production site. The job uses 3 backup repositories:

Repo 1 (smb repo) is located on another QNAP device in the production site and is used to hold short term backups.
Repo 2 (smb repo) is located on another QNAP device in the DR site and is used to hold the copies of the short term backup restore points.
Repo 3 is located on the same QNAP device as Repo 2 and is used to hold the Archive backup (previous version).
Repo 3 is being backed up by other means to another location, so in case of the device failure, the Archive backups can be retrieved.

I'm trying to simulate a failure of any of the two QNAP backup devices and how would I retrieve the restore points and change the job to be able to continue working.

I have no problems with replacing Repo 2 and 3 with other repos, but when I try to replace Repo1 with a new repo, I get "Unable to change backup repository" error.
I tried to copy the backup files from the original repository to the new one, to rescan the original and the new repository, but the error persists.

Any ideas, please?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2880 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Change main backup Repository in Veeam File Share Backup Job

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

What is on the "new repo"? Is it empty (I guess so, because you try to simulate a failure. But I want to be sure)? Or do you try to map Repo 1 to Repo 2?

Best regards,
Hannes
i.stajcic
Influencer

Post by i.stajcic »

Hello Hannes,

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, "new repo is a completely empty new repository. I'm not doing any backup job mappings.
Since, my question was how to replace the main repository on the file share backup job, I wouldn't mind mapping the job to the repo 2 where the copies of my short term backup restore points are, but it doesn't work either.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
backup jobs (no matter which type) require that backups are available on the new repository. So the way is to create a new backup job (cloning the old one saves time).

Mapping to backup copy jobs to backup jobs is impossible today.

Best regards,
Hannes
i.stajcic
Influencer

Post by i.stajcic »

Thanks for the tips, Hannes
I think I have pretty much figured it out now.

Just one more quick question regarding the file share backup job.
During a Repository Rescan, my Archive Repository became disassociated form the file share backup job. Now it shows up under Disks (Orphaned) node.
I haven't changed anything in the job or in the repository except rescanning it.
Is there any way to associate that Archive Backup with the original job?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

is adding it again in the backup job not working?