Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
segfault
Enthusiast
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: John Garner

Exclude folders from backup

Post by segfault » 1 person likes this post

Is there any way to exclude a folder from a backup job?

For instance, I would like to backup the \\server\home_dirs\ share but exclude any folder/directory under that root path named "temp"

I've tried using the file excludes and can exclude files that match a given pattern, but it does not seem to work. I tried "temp", "temp/*" and "*/temp/*" but to no avail (either with forward or back slashes since it is a cifs share). I can get it to exclude a file based on a pattern, so that works.

The documentation talks about file excludes, but is absent any mention of folder excludes. Another thread references skipping the ~snapshot folder using the excludes function so it appears that they should work.

Thanks,

--john
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Exclude folders from backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I just created a new folder "exclude" and 0 files are backed up. Works fine for me. If it does not work for you, please open a case and share the case number.

I excluded "\\172.21.237.140\share1\exclude"

Best regards,
Hannes
segfault
Enthusiast
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: John Garner

Post by segfault »

I'll give that syntax a try. I didn't try a full unc path to the directory to be excluded.

Based on your example, it appears that the system does not permit leading wildcards for directory excludes. Is this really the case? If so it would not be possible to easily exclude all directories named "temp", correct? The workaround would be to write a script to find and enter each directory and then use the output of that to populate the exclude mask before each job starts.

Thanks,

--john
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello John,

Wildcards in paths are indeed not supported. You can use wildcards with file names, but path should be specified exactly the same as it's displayed in the Windows Explorer. Cheers!
fathomman
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Martin Ward

Post by fathomman »

HI Dima,
I have seen your reply on a few wildcard posts and in one of them you said that it would be available in the next version of Veeam, has it made it into 12.1?
Marty