Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
j-a-m
Novice
Liked: never

Feature request - Detecting redundant data sources for fileshare instance calculation

Post by j-a-m »

Hello
Licence instances consumed for fileshare backups are calculated based on the amount of frontend data saved by Veeam.
If I save the same shares in different jobs, consumed licences will be calculated for each job once despite being charged already.
I would like to see a feature, that detects when a share is saved in more than one backup job and prevents consuming licences for the same source data multiple times.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Feature request - Detecting redundant data sources for fileshare instance calculation

Post by Gostev »

Hello! This design was considered from the start, but it was discarded/postponed due to its significant complexity and the use case being so rare. In general, it is considered a bad practice to backup the same data twice as you end up hitting production storage multiple times. Instead, the recommended approach is to backup production data once + create additional copies with the corresponding functionality for secondary copies creation. Thanks!
j-a-m
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Feature request - Detecting redundant data sources for fileshare instance calculation

Post by j-a-m »

Hi
Correct, such a setup is not nice. It's a workaround due to lack of proper GFS for storage-/fileshare backups.
Secondary copy just offers to keep all recovery points longer. Correct me if I'm wrong.