File-level backup from NAS, file shares and file servers
marcelplett
Novice
Liked: never

How to import NAS Backup?

Post by marcelplett »

Hello,

I had to move a NAS Backup to another disk. Now I want to import the Backup to Veeam.
When I try to import it, Veeam wants a .vbm or .vbk file which does not exist. In the root Folder of the NAS Backup there is only a .vstore file.
How do I import this Backup?

Regards,
Marcel

Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 503 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: How to import NAS Backup?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Add storage with moved NAS Backups as a Veeam Repository and select "[X] Search the repository for existing backups and import them automatically" at the Review step of New Repository wizard.

NAS Backups will get imported and be accessible under Home -> Backups -> Disk (Imported) for restore operations.

/Cheers!

marcelplett
Novice
Liked: never

Post by marcelplett »

Thanks! That worked!

sdelacruz
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sam De La Cruz

[MERGED]How to Import Veeam Backup File Share

Post by sdelacruz »

I recently started using File Share Backups to bring over users documents being saved on remote File Servers.

Most of the were able to run over our wan connection but I have several servers that have over 2 TB of data that is hard for the first full backup to complete.

What i did I ran a File Share backup at my remote location, then moved it over on an external drive.

I copied the veeam files over to my Main Veeam Backup and replication server and want to somehow feed that to my first full backup.

I tried mapping the job but I do not see the folder I moved from my external drive.

Can this be done?

Thanks in advance.

Sam

sdelacruz
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sam De La Cruz

[MERGED]How to Import Veeam Backup File Share

Post by sdelacruz » 1 person likes this post

I think I found the way. I had to rescan the backup repository. Now I can see the File Share Backup I moved from my remote File Server.

fraack
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Florian Raack

Post by fraack »

Hi Egor,

does this import works also for the archive repository? Was wondering about this topic because one of my customers is storing nas backup data since half a year. He bought a DataDomain for archvie purpose and we want to switch the configuration to use the datadomain as the archive repository. If we copy all the data in advance, add the DataDomain and switch the archive repo to the data domain, will Veeam realise that historical data is already there?

Or is there any other solution to move historical data to a new archive repository?

Thanks
Florian

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 5012 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, the import works for the archive repository as well.

As for migrating data between archive repositories, I'd wait for the PMs to comment, especially since Data Domain is involved - which is a non-standard repository with its own access API, meaning you cannot just copy data there normally.

Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1167 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Florian,

You can move the nas archive (entire folder with the nas backup job name) from one repository to another, do a rescan of such repo and then restore will be possible. However, it's not possible to map existing archive to the job, so when the archive repository is changed in the job properties we will start a new archive. Cheers!

restore-helper
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Post by restore-helper »

Another question, is it true that one can not map an existing backup chain ( from a NAS backup to an NAS backup job or an NAS backup copy job?

Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 503 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Backup Mapping option for NAS backups as of today available only for primary NAS Backup Job data.
You cannot map NAS Backup Secondary Backup data nor NAS Backup Archive data.
/Thanks!