Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
OrMain
Lurker
Liked: never

NAS backup copy to cloud repository

Post by OrMain »

Hi,

We are currently migrating our Windows Server filer to a NAS, both on-premise, with about 10TB of data.
On the filer we have the following backup scenario :
1. Windows Agent backup job to a local repository
2. Windows Backup Copy job to a cloud repository as secondary target

Despite some performances issues related to volumetry, this scenario is working pretty well and ensure 3-2-1 compliance

However, we're unable to do the same with the data hosted on our NAS. Step 1 had to be replaced with a file backup and there's no such option for a backup copy job to a cloud location with file backups.

I've been through the different topics here and it looks like we need to wait for VBR v.12, correct ? Would such scenario be supported with the next version ?

And is there any alternative in the meantime ? Would it be possible to mount NAS storage as iSCSI drives on a Windows Server and run the backups with the Windows Agent ? I'm not really buying this as we may lose some interesting NAS native features here.

Thanks for any input !
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2888 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: NAS backup copy to cloud repository

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Yes, backup copy job to S3 compatible / Amazon S3 / Azure Blob / Google object storage is planned for V12. Also direct backup to the ones I mentioned.

Theoretically you could back up the repository again with an agent and then send it to the cloud via capacity tier. If the goal is to meet the 3-2-1 rule, then the easiest way would be to spin up a (Linux) server somewhere (in a cloud) and use the backup copy job.

Best regards,
Hannes