Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
phiaramos
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Phia Ramos

Nas backup old restore point manual deletion

Post by phiaramos »

Hello,

I would like to ask if is it possible to manually delete old restore points of NAS backup? Because our storage is already full and the backup job is unable to run. I checked the backup files on the backup repository, but it is on unstructured format and I don't know if its safe to delete. Thank you.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Nas backup old restore point manual deletion

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I don't know if its safe to delete
It's unsafe! It's not like the image files of VMs / agents where only orphaned configuration database entries need to be fixed after manual deletion. Manual deletion of files with NAS backups breaks everything almost for sure.

You need to add free space.

Best regards,
Hannes
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Phia,

I'd recommend to lower the retention for your nas job if you need restore points to be removed. Manual deletion from the file system leads to entire backup chain being corrupted due to nas backup forver forward incremental mode, so please dont remove any nas backup files from the file system manually. Thank you!
jhonatanwick12
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Gomgom Jhonatan Marbun

Post by jhonatanwick12 »

Hey i have the same issue for this. But how if i deleted file backup on backup repository and start a new job from the scartch in case the old backup is not used anymore. It's not a problem, right?
For information we got the weird scenarion for file share backup. My manager want to take 1 full backup and 3 differential backup for 1 month period. This case is cannot fullfiled because as long as i know veeam backup schedule job for file sharing can't run periodically, right? The first time job running is taking full backup and differential backup for the rest. Or am i missing something from veeam backup feature? I wish veeam have periodically scheduler for file sharing backup. Like i want to run this job only for 1 month and on the next month run the new job again. So the best approach to fullfiled my condition is i make the job for 1 month and running once for a week and in the end of the month with powershell help i disabled the job and make the same job again.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

But how if i deleted file backup on backup repository and start a new job from the scartch in case the old backup is not used anymore. It's not a problem, right?
You can start a new backup chain and then delete the backup from repository completely.
take 1 full backup and 3 differential backup for 1 month period. This case is cannot fullfiled because as long as i know veeam backup schedule job for file sharing can't run periodically, right?
It can run periodically but backup job is forver forward incremental meaning that first backup is always full and following backups are incrementals. There is no differential backups unfortunately.
The first time job running is taking full backup and differential backup for the rest. Or am i missing something from veeam backup feature? I wish veeam have periodically scheduler for file sharing backup.
You can configure monthly backups here.

Thanks!