Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
vmtech123
Veeam Legend
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: SP

Pricing

Post by vmtech123 »

Hello

I'm trying to figure this out still as I have a large environment and Backup and Replication Enterprise is working great on V11.
I have integrated tape, storage snaps and things are good.

I don't understand the pricing model of NAS backup. 5 years of 50TB is appx 25k on the calculator. Obviously there will be some volume discount, but at this rate, 200TB is going to cost 100k for 5 years.

Other than the granularity to restore individual files and versioning, what else am I missing, sure, restoring a file from a server takes longer, but If I keep incremental backups I can have decent retention.

I'd assume the versioning is a bonus, but already having B&R there is no way I could justify that cost to management.

Question 2, is NAS backup, or FILE SERVER backup to TAPE ever going to be a thing?

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Re: Pricing

Post by Gostev »

Hello

If you are fine with file-level recovery from an image-level backup and don't need enterprise file-based backup features and functionality, then I agree you should stick to image-level backups. There's no reason to pay for something you don't really need. Just because we have this functionality does not mean everyone has to use it.

May be in a few years your management faces some regulatory or compliance requirements around file versions retention, then THEY will come to you asking to implement what those policies require - and you won't need to justify, because it will be their request. They also won't see $100K in 5 years as something exorbitant comparing to a single fine for not meeting some regulation.

Sure, we supported NAS or File Server backup to tape with File to Tape job for close to 10 years now.

Thanks!
vmtech123
Veeam Legend

Post by vmtech123 »

Thanks, I could see this being beneficial for space savings as keeping many snapshots for years is not a great plan, and file to tape could be a way to archive things without keeping them on our Production SAN.

I'm maybe not understanding how this works right. I Have B&R Enterprise and all of our fileservers are VM's. I can actualy add file shares and specify folders to backup with versioning in V11.

Is this different than NAS backup? or do I just have a limited amount with B&R?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, this is NAS backup functionality. You can add and backup some file shares even without buying the corresponding license, because shares under 500GB in size do not consume a license. Besides, all customers with a Socket license have some "gifted instances" available (up to 6) to try out protection of all those workloads not running on hypervisor sockets.
vmtech123
Veeam Legend

Post by vmtech123 » 1 person likes this post

Ahhhh. Thanks. So if I tried this on a monster server it's going to yell at me then. 10-4.

I wasn't sure if this was different than NAS backup, or maybe enterprise sockets were allowed to use it.

Thanks so much. It looks great, but as you said, it's up to the business if they want this.