Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
mogan2055847
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Mogansundram Apna

Recover files from cloud object storage during Disaster

Post by mogan2055847 »

Hey Guys,

I'm trying the NAS file share backup and archive older files version to the cloud object storage. And I notice below:
Refer to guide : https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
"The Import Backups option is applicable only to the Capacity Tier and Archive Tier backups. It does not support the NAS backups."

In the event of disaster, consider my VBR server and on-premise file share backup are both gone, if quickly deploy a new VBR server, how can i restore my older version file shares from the cloud object storage?

Thanks in advance.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Recover files from cloud object storage during Disaster

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello mogan2055847,

Since nas backups do not integrate with Capacity Tier, you wont have nas backup files in the Capacity Tier. You can import all your backup files to a newly deployed Veeam B&R server, yes. To achieve the backup data redundancy for nas jobs it's currently recommended to use backup copy job to another repository and in case of the disaster you can import the nas backup files to a new Veeam B&R the same way as image-level backups. Thanks!
mogan2055847
Enthusiast

Post by mogan2055847 »

Hi Dima,

Thanks for your feedback. Yup, we understand that to achieve backup data redundancy, we need to use second repository.
Just wanted to understand more, when we archive older version of file share to Cloud object storage. In the event of disaster (consider my VBR server and on-premise file share backup are both gone).

In a newly deploy VBR server, we can:
Add the same Cloud object storage as Veeam repository, then do we need to import the data from object storage? Or Veeam will auto detected the data and we can start to restore the older version files?

Thanks in advance.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Just wanted to understand more, when we archive older version of file share to Cloud object storage. In the event of disaster (consider my VBR server and on-premise file share backup are both gone).
Correct, for nas archive you can use import functionality as well. Just add cloud object storage, hit rescan and it will make nas archive visible for file level recovery in new Veeam B&R server.
Or Veeam will auto detected the data and we can start to restore the older version files?
Rescan is performed automatically whenever you add repository to Veeam B&R, but whenever needed you can trigger it manually (right click the repo and hit rescan). Thanks!
mogan2055847
Enthusiast

Post by mogan2055847 »

Thank you Dima, much appreciate your help!