Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
gpomanti
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Greg Pomanti

Repository Settings for File Backup Jobs

Post by gpomanti »

Hello! So far, loving V10! I have a question about File Backup Jobs. I'm looking to set up a repository in one of our offsite locations that will only be holding File Backups. Are there any recommendations for setting up the repository and formatting the disk? Block size, large files, REFS, etc...? The repository server will be Server 2019 and I will be backing up Windows file shares.

Also, maybe I just can't find it, but is there an option to write the File Backup Jobs to tape as a secondary target

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Repository Settings for File Backup Jobs

Post by Gostev »

Hello!

Thanks for your kind words.

File Backup jobs does not currently have any specific recommendations as far as backup repository goes, so feel free to use any file system you're comfortable with. For file versions archive repository, ReFS is more promising due to its theoretical scale, but for large scale deployments we recommend object storage based on scalability considerations.

To write to tape, you should use the dedicated File to Tape jobs. There's currently no way to attach tape to File Backup jobs in any way, as this functionality was built for ground up to be high performance D2D backup.

Thanks!
Anton