Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
ytpcs
Novice
Liked: 1 time

rotated USB HDs file copy backup

Post by ytpcs »

hi,

we're using VBR for tape backup and it's working great. now we need to add rotated USB HD file backups. is it possible to do the following.

a) have DAILY INCREMENTAL backup with rotated HDs
b) have WEEKLY INCREMENTAL backup with rotated HDs

on the same VBR instance. From the docs i've read it appears only one rotated HD repo is supported per instance ? if yes can i still perform the above using a single rotated HD repo ?
any tips and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Y
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: rotated USB HDs file copy backup

Post by Gostev »

Hi, rotated drives are currently not supported for file backup jobs at all. Thanks!
ytpcs
Novice

Post by ytpcs »

thanks. in that case would i be able to do incremental job each day to local repo and schedule copy of the said repo to external hard drive (with a script) to simulate the desired outcome? or would that make the restore impossible ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

TBH you'll probably be better off with the regular File Copy jobs for your needs (backing up relatively small number of files to a rotated media).

File Backup jobs are created for high performance PB-scale NAS backups, so its backup format is quite complex (essentially a NOSQL database). It's not simple VBK/VIB files we do for image-level backups. So it could be tricky to manage it with external processes.
ytpcs
Novice

Post by ytpcs »

we need drive to be encrypted and would like to keep it within veeam (copy job doesn't support encryption) and it's about 1.5mln files.

so i guess that daily full file backup to manually rotated ext drives is out of question as well ? (we do that with tapes)

our best option is to do entire host backup (image-level)? can that image be mounted for file extraction ? we haven't tested that. we used that for p2v
ytpcs
Novice

Post by ytpcs »

I'm currently testing Agent Backup Job managed by Server with File level backup (slower), rather than Volume Level backup to see if this will work for us.