Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
rpop
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: rpveeam

Strategy NAS backup

Post by rpop »

Hello,

We plan to backup via Veeam a CIFS production share to a catalyst repo (Storeonce)
This share contains today 12 millions files for almost 5TB.

This share receive every day between 1000-2000 files for 1-2Go, once files are written on this share, they will never deleted or changed anymore (like a kind of WORM method)

My question:
As we always cumulate data in this share (never deleted); i don't know if i have to setup in the nas job backup:

"keep all file versions for the last: 240 months (20 years) --> the problem after many months/years we will risk to see hundred of hundred restore points, right ?

or

"keep all file versions for the last:" 1 month
and
"Keep previous file versions for :" 20 years (with default file Archive Settings) on dedicated catalyst repo ?

What are best practices with Veeam to archive for 20 years a dedicated share (only new files/folder added every day, never deleted)

Thank you
Best regards
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Strategy NAS backup

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Greetings!
Since files are not changing, they are not backed up over and over, thus there will be no "versions"(just 1). You can set "Keep all file versions for the last:" to "240 Months" and once we have full backup made, we will backup only new coming data daily. Daily backup will yield 7200 restore points over 20 years interval.
I am checking with QA in terms of such long retention - usually there is no need to keep daily backups for 20 years, and periodic Full backup(like Yearly Full offload) suits the need. Stay tuned!
/Cheers!
rpop
Enthusiast

Post by rpop »

Hello,

thx for your reply,
i mean 20 years because i had to choose a indefinitely time value :)
According to you, there isn't any reason to use the archive settings in the job ? right ?

Regards
Best regards
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

With one storage device, yeah, no reason. Usually Archive is meant to save on storage expenses, for example to keep last month of files on a faster and more expensive storage, and archive 12 months older files to a cheaper\slower archival storage device. Since you have StoreOnce for all, it's just unnecessary.
/Cheers!
rpop
Enthusiast

Post by rpop »

Perfect !
Thanks fo your time

Regards
Best regards