File-level backup from NAS, file shares and file servers
Regnor
Service Provider
Liked: 79 times
Full Name: Max

Re: Feature request - NAS Backup tape support

Post by Regnor »

@Anton: When I first read about the NAS backup feature I was assuming that it also supported tape backup as it's a standard feature ;)
And file to tape is a workaround, but not a good one with it's limitations.

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 4274 times

Post by Gostev »

It *is* a standard functionality in Veeam called File to Tape jobs, which uses the very same data sources as D2D NAS backup jobs. There's no reason to pretend this feature did not exist in Veeam for many years, and is instead just some "workaround" we delivered in v10.

And sure, nothing ever comes without limitations, as features with no limitations take infinite amount of time to be released. However, our File to Tape functionality is has been around for a very long time, so by now we know for the fact that it does the job for the majority of customers who needs a copy of their critical files on tape - and this fact significantly reduces the pressure to deliver a different solution.

All I'm hearing so far is people effectively wanting File to Tape job which scale beyond current ten of millions of files, and have the unified file catalog with our D2D NAS backups. Both of these enhancements are certainly doable down the road, however the same also shows that the current suggestion to use File to Tape job is not somehow totally wrong.

Regnor
Service Provider
Liked: 79 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

I hope you didn't misunderstand me; I was refering to the NAS backup itself.
I meant that for every new backup feature you introduce, I would automatically assume that it can go both to disk and tape.

I also don't think that we need the same capabilities on tape.
It should be sufficient if you can use tape for DR or ransomware protection of the NAS backup files/repository.
Perhaps file to tape or virtualizing the repository and creating an image backup could be workarounds until a better solution gets released?

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 4274 times

Post by Gostev »

Unfortunately, almost every other customer I talked to don't just want "NDMP-like" dumps of our NAS backup blobs to tape, but rather expect to be able to do file restores direct from those tape copies. In fact, most are already doing such dumps through our actual NDMP integration anyway to be their "last resort" backup, and what they don't like about those is specifically the lack of file-level restore directly from tape.

mdiver
Service Provider
Liked: 15 times

Post by mdiver »

Just wanted to chime in here as I had a longer discussion with a large customer today. They started to use the new NAS backup functionality heavily already in their sites.
Now they want to go with those backups to tape as they do with all their other VM backups.
File2tape is not an option as it does not scale. AFAIK it was never meant for more then a few thousand files in the first place.
Even trying to dump all the the files in the NAS repository is not feasable as they are also way to many.

For this usecase we wont need any searchability IMO. Just a way to dump the file share repo to tape to be somehow immutable and comply with 3-2-1.

We already tried a dirty workaround by first having an agent job put the structure into a single VBK. But this is cumbersome and prone to error.
We would need some sort of virtual synthetic full for the D2D NAS job without the load on the database many thousands of files have on the file2tape jobs.

The same holds BTW true for plugin backup structures like HANA point-in-time recoveries. Thousands of files.

Thanks,
Mike

Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1031 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your feedback!
File2tape is not an option as it does not scale. AFAIK it was never meant for more then a few thousand files in the first place.
Small note here: currently we support up to 1 million of objects with Veeam database running on bundled SQL Express (and have no limits with SQL Standard edition).
We would need some sort of virtual synthetic full for the D2D NAS job without the load on the database many thousands of files have on the file2tape jobs.
To make sure I got this right: you would like to tape of a full backup of your nas periodically and the ideal approach would be to synthesize full set of files for the needed day from the data on disk? Cheers!

mdiver
Service Provider
Liked: 15 times

Post by mdiver »

Hi Dima.

Thanks for your reply. Do 1M objects really fit into SQL Express? I would have dared maybe up to a few 10.000... In my experience the GUI gets significantly slower and one might risk to render the DB out-of-space.

My strategy is always to have tape only as a safety net. So the day2day recoveries would never run from tape. Thus a full dump of the NAS backup - maybe including all versions - would be helpful. So that one could recover a broken/lost/encrypted/stolen repository from tape.

Thanks,
Mike

Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1031 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Mike,

Sure, we have this limit documented here. For anything above this limit it's strongly recommended to go with SQL Standard edition (and I keep saying that db should be placed on the SSD storage :wink: ).