Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
tomas881
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Tomas La Grotteria

Trouble working with Isilon with 2 IPs

Post by tomas881 »

Hi everybody,

I am currently working on a NAS Backup project on which we are backing up files from an Isilon. The Isilon is configured on Veeam as a NAS Filer using the Isilon's management IP.

The File Share to which we are trying to connect has 2 interfaces configured with 2 different IP addresses. One is used for user access and the other one is used for Backup connections. Apparently, when Veeam connects against the Isilon and asks for the file share's IPs addresses, the Isilon provides Veeam with the one used for user access, and thus the backup fails because the Veeam server cannot reach the IP address dedicated for users. The tenant would like to force the connection through the Backup dedicated network.

Is this scenario possible? Is there a way to force Veeam to go through the other network? I've checked the "preferred network configuration" but if I understood correctly this does not apply for NAS Backup.

Or is this configuration made on the Isilon side? If this is the case, does Veeam have any whitepaper or documentation stating how the configuration should be done? Or perhaps someone in this community has worked with a similar scenario and could help me.

I have been working with Veeam support regarding this (case #02533055) and I'm waiting for their response since yesterday, so perhaps I thought maybe someone could help me at the forum

Thanks in advance!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Trouble working with Isilon with 2 IPs

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Tomas,

Have your tried to add Isilon stratagem via the needed IP address (I read it's a static IP address) instead of the host name? Thanks!
tomas881
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Tomas La Grotteria

Re: Trouble working with Isilon with 2 IPs

Post by tomas881 »

Hi Dima,

Thanks for your response. I will try to explain a little further about the IP Addresses using fake ones, I think is the common practice.
The Veeam Server currently has 2 IP addresses:
10.0.0.20 -> routed Management/LAN network.
11.0.0.20 -> Isolated Backup Network

The Isilon storage has 3 IP addresses:
10.0.0.10 -> management
11.0.0.10 -> File Share access for backups
12.0.0.10 -> File Share access for Users.

The Isilon is currently added as a NAS Filer using the management IP Address 10.0.0.10 (not the host name). When Veeam tries to do a backup, according to the logs it is trying to connect to the User's IP Address 12.0.0.10 (I assume, an so does Veeam support, that this is because that's the IP Isilon is providing to Veeam) but the Veeam Server does not have access to this Network (Firewall blocked).
What we want to do is force Veeam to use the Backup Network 11.x.x.x instead of the user network 12.x.x.x to perform the Isilon's backup. Is this possible?

Thanks!