Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
dl777
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Don

Why No Dedupe Option on File Share Backups

Post by dl777 »

I am trying to create a File Share backup job (V11) and when I click on "advanced" settings it does not show me any dedupe options like it does on VM backups. I would like to dedupe a file share on my Windows server. Any comments?

Thanks.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Why No Dedupe Option on File Share Backups

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

Hello Don, thanks for the request.

At VM backup processing there is the Dedup checkbox that enables Source Side deduplication. It is mainly used to reduce the data amount in the change block tracking processing.
We do not have a global deduplication software option as we leverage other technologies like fast cloning with specific compression to reduce the data nearly as efficient, but without negative performance side effects that usually globally deduplication brings with it. If you have a usecase for global deduplication, then you can leverage our Alliance Partner Dedup Storage systems such as HPE StoreOnce/Nimble, Exagrid, Quantum DXi, DellEMC DataDomain, Fujitsu CS800, Infinidiat Infiniguard,... or Software based solutions like Microsoft Windows integrated Deduplication.

NAS backup performs File Incremental Forever backup based on our own Change File Tracking Integration (or Storage specific protocols). We Store data as fast and efficient as we can to have best backup and restore speed, while optimizing space usage on the backup target. If you really want to have global deduplication here, please check the above option.
Source Side deduplication can not be used with this approach in the same way.
dl777
Novice

Post by dl777 »

Thanks Andreas! It says it is recommended to enable inline dedupe on VM backups. If multiple VMs with the same OS (clones off the same template) are added to this single backup job, will inline dedupe be effective across them?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Yes, when you use per-Job backup chains. The Proxy will use the deduplication as before and the Repository will deduplicate within same backup job run accross all VMs then.
dl777
Novice

Post by dl777 »

Thanks Andreas!