9.5 Hyper-V 2016 Known Issues

Hyper-V specific discussions

Re: 9.5 Hyper-V 2016 Known Issues

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:38 am

Hi Daniel,

I see your case is closed? Is that correct?
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 384 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby eainsworth » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:11 pm

Just migrated my Hyper-V cluster to 2016 over the weekend and ran into this issue with backing up Exchange 2010 on the upgraded cluster. We performed this upgrade hoping for better backup performance with the native 2016 RCT feature. Instead, we no longer have a working backup infrastructure. Has anyone upgraded their Veeam backup server to Windows 2016? Any different results?
eainsworth
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Edward Ainsworth

Veeam Logoby TT-DL » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:07 am

Mike Resseler wrote:Hi Daniel,

I see your case is closed? Is that correct?

Hi Mike,

First veeam support agent wasn't very helpful, saw the writers in a failed state and closed the case. Case number - 02169813.

Second support agent, was extremely helpful, and opened a new support case for me after he went through the issue with Msoft Tech. Case number - 02182835. This case should be still open.

Thanks.
TT-DL
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Daniel L

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:33 am

Ah, thanks Daniel, I was indeed looking at the old support case. Not too happy that the first support engineer wasn't very helpful. If you feel it is necessary, please escalate this. We take a lot of pride in our support department and our VP's running the different divisions are working always very hard to solve issues where the engineer didn't do what needs to be done.

I hope that you have better success with the new one, please escalate if necessary. We might need to get it to DEV team if it is locked at some point (although I hope not...)

Thanks again,

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:35 am

Hi Edward,
First: Welcome to the forums!

In this thread there should be the solution what you need to do to get Exchange running. It requires a few updates (and can't remember which versions were used) but Exchange was shown a few times as a success. It is AD that is the major issue here. The solution involves running some specific updates on your exchange server to make sure that WS2016 virtualization is supported. Those fixes come from MSFT

Cheers
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Salm » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:41 am 1 person likes this post

eainsworth wrote:Just migrated my Hyper-V cluster to 2016 over the weekend and ran into this issue with backing up Exchange 2010 on the upgraded cluster. We performed this upgrade hoping for better backup performance with the native 2016 RCT feature. Instead, we no longer have a working backup infrastructure. Has anyone upgraded their Veeam backup server to Windows 2016? Any different results?

Hi,

See this post for Exchange backups : microsoft-hyper-v-f25/9-5-hyper-v-known-issues-t38927-45.html#p230347
Salm
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby TT-DL » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:54 am

Mike Resseler wrote:Ah, thanks Daniel, I was indeed looking at the old support case. Not too happy that the first support engineer wasn't very helpful. If you feel it is necessary, please escalate this. We take a lot of pride in our support department and our VP's running the different divisions are working always very hard to solve issues where the engineer didn't do what needs to be done.

I hope that you have better success with the new one, please escalate if necessary. We might need to get it to DEV team if it is locked at some point (although I hope not...)

Hi Mike and All,

After spending several hours doing log collection and remote sessions with a second level Veeam support tech he says he now understands exactly what the issue is. Sounds like Veeam could do with some internal kb articles on this issue though (Maybe even a public KB on the issue?). He is just not sure if it is resolvable,maybe something for the Veeam Dev team I think.

Basically he said if it is possible to call the older WMI API (as Microsoft do when they run a backup on a 2k8 R2 Exchange 2010 box) then it can be fixed. Apparently the older API's are all present, the question is, is it possible to call them based on guest OS from within Veeam 9.5+? -Something only the Veeam team can answer.... ?????

Meanwhile everyone that has a 2016 host that is running any application that requires an 'application consistent' snapshot is stuck and desperate for a backup that works that isn't Windows.

BTW - If you are stuck with this Windows Backup works perfectly and will let you flush logs etc. Not the best solution, but something at least. You cant mix and match your veeam/Windows backups though FYI. one or the other.
TT-DL
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:18 am

Daniel,

Just looked and it seems that you are still doing tests together with our support engineer. Please keep pushing :-). I'm hoping that support and dev are already working together now.
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby frankive » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:39 pm

any news on this?
frankive
Service Provider

Liked: 86 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Veeam Logoby matt306 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:06 pm

I've had the same issues with a cluster that's been rolling upgraded to 2016. My current workaround is to keep a single node with 2012R2 (paused) in the cluster as it causes Veeam to behave differently and backups succeed (albeit with no CBT). Obviously if you've already upgraded the functional level to 9, this isn't an option for you.
matt306
Influencer

Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Matthew Brown

Veeam Logoby frankive » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:20 pm 1 person likes this post

It is my impression that a huge company as Veeam and as a Microsoft Partner you would push Microsoft in this case? It has gone almos a year now without successful backup of active directory.
Not funny to be a service provider and trying to excuse the customers with this.
frankive
Service Provider

Liked: 86 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Veeam Logoby TT-DL » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:19 am

Mike Resseler wrote:Daniel,

Just looked and it seems that you are still doing tests together with our support engineer. Please keep pushing :-). I'm hoping that support and dev are already working together now.

Hi Mike, and All,

Ive requested this earlier, but I'll request it again. Everywhere I look everyone says this is a known 2016 bug. Cool got it. Can anyone actually provide a bug ID for this issue or a link to a relevant KB article?

I have MSoft support telling me no such bug exists. I am honestly going around in circles here. However no one can provide anything solid on this. This is the most elusive 'bug' in the history of the internet. Everyone 'knows' about it, but no one seems to have actually ever seen it. Maybe the loch ness monster created it...

Can someone please provide a link to somewhere MSFT or MSFT bug ID on this issue??

Thanks in advance.
TT-DL
Influencer

Veeam Logoby TT-DL » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:23 am

matt306 wrote:I've had the same issues with a cluster that's been rolling upgraded to 2016. My current workaround is to keep a single node with 2012R2 (paused) in the cluster as it causes Veeam to behave differently and backups succeed (albeit with no CBT). Obviously if you've already upgraded the functional level to 9, this isn't an option for you.

Hi Matt, Thanks for the feedback. Im guessing because you have a 2012 host in the cluster veeam is seeing the cluster as a 2012 cluster and subsequently falling backup to the 2012 backup architecture rather than using the new 2016 API. This is also how Windows backup successfully completes for these guests on a 2016 Hyper-V host.

I asked my Veeam support engineer to make me a magic 'tick' in a box somewhere in the veeam interface to fallback like you have inadvertently discovered as a work around. The veeam tech tells me this simply isn't possible and they must use the 2016 API for hyper-v 2016 guests. Its very frustrating, but I like your work around.
TT-DL
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:08 am

Daniel,

I would love to give you the KB or something similar from MSFT but we don't have it. Unfortunately.

I can give you this: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... rverhyperv

Here you will see that it is not us alone that is having this issue, our competition is suffering from it also
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby TT-DL » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:25 pm 1 person likes this post

Hi Mike,

Appreciate the update. I'm feeling pretty frustrated about this, as are a lot of people, to me my current biggest frustration is it does not look like Veeam has owned or driven this at all with Microsoft.

I have just hit 'Contact a Manager' from within 'Support' when logged into the veeam site. I have requested that a Manager or someone at Veeam take some ownership on this issue with Microsoft and make sure a bug has been opened and can be tracked, because the current situation of 'its a bug, no one knows if Microsoft have acknowledge it though' is frankly ridiculous.

I would encourage all users of this forum, to 'Contact a Manager' about this issue and let's start escalating it and trying to get some ownership on it from the Veeam side. Please do this. Someone else is not going to do it. If ou are reading this you need to 'contact a manager'.

I'm particularly annoyed that there are work rounds ie using legacy backup processes to resolve this issue, but Veeam won't touch them as 'its a Msoft bug' but we don't know any more than that and we are not driving it for a resolution. Why don't veeam drop a couple of hundred bucks and open this as a support case with Microsoft if nothing else???

In it's current state it basically renders B&R useless on a 2k16 platform, as pretty well everyone has either AD or Exchange in their environment.
TT-DL
Influencer

PreviousNext

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V