9.5 Hyper-V 2016 Known Issues

Hyper-V specific discussions

Re: 9.5 Hyper-V 2016 Known Issues

Veeam Logoby nandyol » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:40 am

So this problem is still not fixed then?

Application-aware processing of Active Directory domain controllers running on guest OS other than Windows Server 2016 fails with the “Failed to create VM recovery checkpoint” error (32770). This is a Hyper-V 2016 issue that Microsoft is planning to address in the future update.
nandyol
Novice

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby nvolkmer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:36 am

Hi,
we've got the same issue with the backing up VMs on WS2016 and AAP.

The only chance is to disable it. After you got your backups, you can still use AAP to restore items (just open the LDAP files and so on..)
After a Little bit of Research and contacting our Microsoft partner for this matter, in August there will be a public hotfix for this, as this is already be testing in a 1:1 lab enviornment.

But i agree, that this i a really bad behavior.. we are using a 2-node Cluster with around 120 VMs.

Regards
nvolkmer
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Nils Volkmer

Veeam Logoby frankive » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:58 am

beside changing from production to stnadard checkpoints I also use VAW inside of my domain controllers. Then I always have a 100% nice backup of the DC database, and can also do item-level restore by freshring the repository we use for it directly in the VBR console.
frankive
Service Provider

Liked: 86 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Veeam Logoby dredd123 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:11 pm

I've given up waiting for a solution and replaced our guest DC's with Windows Server 2016. Now backing up OK using production checkpoints.
dredd123
Novice

Full Name: David Walsh

Veeam Logoby TT-DL » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:09 am

nvolkmer wrote:Hi,

After a Little bit of Research and contacting our Microsoft partner for this matter, in August there will be a public hotfix for this, as this is already be testing in a 1:1 lab enviornment.

Are you able to provide any links to KB articles or similiar of said hotfix? I have open support cases with MSft about this and they are still failing to acknowledge it as an issue. So if you have any references I could share with them that would be good. Thanks in advance.
TT-DL
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Daniel L

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:35 am

Nils,
If you have anything public I would like to know that also. I am trying from my side to get some acknowledge from MSFT but... :-(
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby frankive » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:46 am

a temporary solution is also to use a VAW inside a DC until this is fixed..
frankive
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby nmdange » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:56 pm

frankive wrote:a temporary solution is also to use a VAW inside a DC until this is fixed..

A better solution is to just disable Application Aware Processing. You do not lose any functionality by doing this with DCs (or any other VMs other than SQL/Exchange/Oracle)
nmdange
Expert

Liked: 57 times

Veeam Logoby frankive » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:41 am

A better solution is to just disable Application Aware Processing. You do not lose any functionality by doing this with DCs (or any other VMs other than SQL/Exchange/Oracle)

I don't think this is a good solution. Active Directory also need the Application Aware Processing to take a reliable backup. Veeam, please correct me if I am a wrong regarding this.
In this matter I find it more safe to also have a VAW agent installed on of my DC if you are disabling AAP.
frankive
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby nmdange » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:02 pm 3 people like this post

Both Hyper-V Native Quiescence and Veeam AAP will perform an application-consistent VSS snapshot within the VM. AAP is NOT required for application-consistent backups. With Native Hyper-V Quiescence, the only difference is that the Hyper-V host is using the integration services to tell the VM to do the VSS snapshot rather than Veeam connecting over the network. In fact this has some advantages because you can do application-consistent backups without Veeam needing to have admin credentials or even network connectivity to the guest VM. This is especially important with DCs as you can forego storing Domain Admin credentials within Veeam.

Application-Aware processing does provide functionality for truncating transaction logs for SQL/Exchange/Oracle if you need that. On the other hand, if your SQL server databases are all in SIMPLE recovery mode, then Application-Aware processing is not needed there either because there are no logs to truncate.

Disabling AAP does not prevent any of the Veeam Explorer tools from working either. I have it disabled on my DCs and Veeam Explorer for AD still works fine.
nmdange
Expert

Liked: 57 times

Veeam Logoby mkaec » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Thanks nmdange! I've been trying to figure this out for a while. The documentation makes it sound like AAP is essential for proper operation.

I really like the idea about not needing to assign domain admin credentials to Veeam.
mkaec
Expert

Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Marc K

Veeam Logoby Taasadi » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:53 pm

Any update on production checkpoint issue with windows 2012 R2 virtual machines? I couldn't downgrade the integration services as some suggested! for me running checkpoint from the Hyper-v manager succeed but exchange 2016 report that the backup was canceled by the client!
Taasadi
Lurker

Veeam Logoby JTT » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:06 am

nvolkmer wrote:After a Little bit of Research and contacting our Microsoft partner for this matter, in August there will be a public hotfix for this, as this is already be testing in a 1:1 lab enviornment.

Any update on this public hotfix?
JTT
Novice

Full Name: JTT

Veeam Logoby dschuler » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:21 pm

Do we know if this was supposed to be a hotfix or was it going to be included in the August CU? I am willing to patch my 2016 Hyper-V Cluster with the CU and try to backup a guest cluster to test.
dschuler
Novice

Full Name: Dann Schuler

Veeam Logoby TT-DL » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:32 am

Hi Guys,

From my conversations with 2nd/3rd level support with both Veeam and Microsoft I don't think any 2k16 updates will resolve this issue. The fix is going to need to be specific to the ADAM VSS writer on whatever flavor or exchange you are running or the NTDS VSS writer for AD. Though in relation to AD as pointed out in this forum you don't actually need AAP for AD backups. You only need AAP if you are trying to flush logs ie SQL/Exchange. My SQL is working fine with AAP at present.

Getting production checkpoints working for AD/Exchange is the same fix.
TT-DL
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Daniel L

PreviousNext

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V