About CBT and Hyper-V integration services

Hyper-V specific discussions

About CBT and Hyper-V integration services

Veeam Logoby marieelieg » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:20 am

Hello everyone. I am quite new to the forum so please excuse any wrongdoing on my part.

I have a hyper-v cluster and I created a backup containing some VMs. Some of those VMs didn't have hyper-v integration services up-to-date, but the backup was successful. I then updated the integration services on the VMs and rerun the backup (now it's incremental). Some of the VMs gave a warning :"Failed to create change tracking time stamp for virtual disk file" but the backup was completed. My question is when upgrading the integration services, does it reset or affect the CBT information in any way and that's why the backup gave me a warning? And if so do I have to run the backup job again as a full backup or does an incremental backup be sufficient?

I really appreciate your feedback as soon as possible and thank you in advance:D
marieelieg
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times

Re: About CBT and Hyper-V integration services

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:11 pm

Hi,

It depends actually. I have seen CBT resets for various reasons. If you do a failover to another host, if there is a sudden shutdown of the host (and then the host loses it's CBT information) or, as you state, when integration tools are updated and depending on what is in the update (so it is not every time actually) it can reset this also.

Windows server 2016 hyper-v will fix this but I'm afraid the older server solutions will always have this possibility.

You don't need to do a new full backup, as we will continue to do an incremental, however, we need to scan the VM to see what the changes are, and therefore, you will notice that the backup takes longer.

Hope it helps

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: About CBT and Hyper-V integration services

Veeam Logoby marieelieg » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:44 pm

Thank you Mike. Your help is much appreciated.
marieelieg
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V