Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
BuffaloBucks
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Al

Adding new Hyper-V Cluster to Managed Servers

Post by BuffaloBucks »

I am just getting going with our Veeam install and I am ready to add our 4 node Hyper-V Cluster to the Managed Servers list. We are doing a simple deployment with all roles on one server and it is not added to our domain so I am using local accounts on the servers for the Veeam console to connect to servers. When trying to add the Hyper-V Cluster I need to supply an account that has access to all the nodes, however I can only specify node1\local_account, node2\local_account, etc. What is the solution for this? Do I need to create a domain account that is a local administrator on all the nodes and then specify that account? If I do that, then if the domain is unavailable I would not be able to recover the VMs.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Adding new Hyper-V Cluster to Managed Servers

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Al.
Domain account for Veeam service with local admin rights on the nodes is the right choice. Depending on your domain services configuration, logon shall be possible several days after domain controller goes down via cached credentials on Hyper-V servers. You can always have additional "backup" node\admin credentials added to Veeam Credentials Manager, and in that rarest case when domain credentials could not be used, it will take a few clicks to change "domain credentials" -> "node credentials" in Veeam and perform restores using local per-node credentials.
Thanks!
BuffaloBucks
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Al

Re: Adding new Hyper-V Cluster to Managed Servers

Post by BuffaloBucks »

Sounds good. Thank you!