Application-aware image processing on disconnected networks

Hyper-V specific discussions

Re: Application-aware image processing on disconnected netwo

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:09 pm

I believe Anton is asking to push Microsoft for that, you can start giving this feedback to your local Microsoft reps and I guess you can do that through their communities too.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby samh22a » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:40 am 1 person likes this post

This is also a very important feature for us.

We're using network virtualization, so our veeam VM will never have network connectivity to all subnets.

I'll make sure to bug my MS contact about this.

Thanks
samh22a
Service Provider

Liked: 2 times

[MERGED] Application Aware processing network requirements

Veeam Logoby Jonathan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:51 pm

We're currently installing a new Hyper-V cluster (2012 R2) and Veeam Backup server (v8). The Hyper-V hosts and backup server are in separate networks from the virtual machines. No routing between these network is in place, so there completely separated. My question is this: does Veeam Application Aware Processing (and Guest file system indexing) require a direct network connection to the virtual machine? If so, between the vm and the backup server or the Hyper-V host?

Off topic: the processing rates are INSANE!
Jonathan
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:04 pm

Yes, network connection is required for the backup server if you want to use AAIP. There's no equivalent of VMware Tools in Hyper-V that could allow interaction with the guest OS in the absence of direct network connectivity.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1081 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Jonathan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:32 pm

Thanks, foggy.

That's what caused the confusion. We lived in the vSphere since the dark ages.
Jonathan
Enthusiast

[MERGED] App Aware Backups without network

Veeam Logoby Josef.G » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:01 pm

Hi
I have two domains on two separate networks.
Prod 172.10.0.x/24
Fabric 10.0.0.x/24

In Fabric we have our Hyper-V hosts.
In Prod we have the production domain containing AD, Exchange, SQL, Fileserver and so on.

For both political and safety reason there is NO network connectivity between the networks.

Is it possible to use Guest Processing in this setup?

If not. What is the different between app aware and not app aware backups?

Regards
Josef
Josef.G
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Josef Gustafsson

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:16 pm

Hi Josef,

Network connection to the backed up VMs is required as opposed to VMware infrastructure.

Please take a look at these links for more info regarding differences in processing modes > Transaction Consistency and Application-Aware Image Processing.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby JSi » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:55 pm

Hello everybody,

we finaly solved this problem in following way:
we are using vyos (former vyatta) for NAT 1:1 to our project networks. Veeam is trying to use vm private ip (acquired from vm tools) instead of internal ip. to solve this, we put persistent route to project isolated network, to backup servers routing table. gateway is set to some NAT address from project network.
Example: VM internal NAT ip address 172.16.1.2/private ip 10.16.1.2, backup server static route 10.16.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 gw 172.16.1.2 if 172.16.8.50 .

This is probably only feature/bug of vyos but who cares :-).
JSi
Influencer

Full Name: Jan Simko

Veeam Logoby Nilsn » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:35 pm

Hello all.
Sat down and tried to get AAIP working against a Hyper-v after a lot of time i found this thread to find out IP access is needed.
Its a major drawback, especially since we are going to run virtualnetworks that are real hard to get access to from the hosts/veeam servers (Multi-tenant cloud solution)

The manual on the functionality is extremely missleading (as mentioned before in this thread) http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/h ... ackup.html
Still not updated with information that IP communication is done.

Please let me know if anything have changed regarding this.

Veeam:
What can we tell Microsoft to change in the Integrations Services to be able to do this without any IP communication ?
Nilsn
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Nils

Veeam Logoby alanbolte » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:05 pm

Nilsn,

The page you're looking at describes a process which does not require network communication and is used either with AAIP or with what we call Hyper-V Quiescence; the latter produces a transactionally-consistent backup, but is not configurable like AAIP, makes application-level restores a little more complicated, and may not be suitable for some SQL servers. Think of AAIP's injection of a process over the network as a hack to do what the Hyper-V backup API otherwise does not normally allow backup products to do. I suppose we could add a warning somewhere else, but the requirement is described in the used ports section of the system requirements. You can make specific suggestions to the documentation team using the 'send feedback' links on each user guide page.

Implementation would at the very least require ways to send and receive files, install/uninstall a service, start/stop that service, all with permissions from a particular account. A method of communicating more efficient than sending and receiving files wouldn't hurt. That, or a significant expansion of the Hyper-V backup API to allow collection of file indexes and arbitrary data about arbitrary in-guest applications without installing a service. I'm not on the dev team so I may be missing one or two things.
alanbolte
Expert

Liked: 170 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Previous

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V