Backing up a Windows Failover Cluster with Shared vhdx?

Discussions specific to Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor

Re: Backing up a Windows Failover Cluster with Shared vhdx?

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi Joshua, what is the exact issue you're referring to? Did you check existing answers to the question in the topic?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1156 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby nismoau » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:36 am

Vitaliy S. wrote: Did you check existing answers to the question in the topic?

What answers are you referring to :)

He's probably referring to the inability to back up VMs with shared VHDXes on a Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V cluster (or host). I'd assume this is still an issue for everybody. I think many of us are at this point assuming that the cause of Veeam not being able to do the aforementioned is due to the inability to create VM checkpoints on the VMs through the Microsoft tools. If that's not the case, let me know :)

I opened a Veeam ticket, and basically got told to pursue the MS checkpoint issue first then come back to Veeam.

See this MS forum for details.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0d6cddde-3ff3-4a50-a627-6ad7bf7667fd/cannot-create-checkpoint-when-shared-vhdset-vhds-is-used-by-vm-not-part-of-a-checkpoint?forum=winserverClustering&prof=required
nismoau
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby RGijsen » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 pm 1 person likes this post

Ah, that's my post on Technet forum. I've been called this morning that finally the bug is found and identified, and a patch will be released most probably June 2017.
RGijsen
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times

Veeam Logoby nismoau » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:14 pm

Yeah, I'm RustyJusty on the MS forums.
nismoau
Novice

Veeam Logoby RGijsen » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:33 pm

Ah, that figures :)
RGijsen
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby RGijsen » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:24 pm

Still no fix in the July cumulative update :(
At least not documented: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4025339
RGijsen
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:36 am

@RGijsen,

I learned already that with the new CU update system of MSFT they are not adding all items in the documentation. That being said, I haven't tested that update yet to see that there is a fix and I haven't received any communication about it either so I fear it is not in this one
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 390 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby nismoau » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:22 am

Our MS rep said the fix is released in August 16, 2017—KB4034661 (OS Build 14393.1613):
[url]https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034661
[/url]
which hopefully addresses the issues in forum https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/0d6cddde-3ff3-4a50-a627-6ad7bf7667fd/cannot-create-checkpoint-when-shared-vhdset-vhds-is-used-by-vm-not-part-of-a-checkpoint?forum=winserverClustering and https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/1e0fa473-896f-4b9c-88f8-e226ee0b6278/2016-hyperv-unable-to-snapshot-backup-guest-cluster-addvmgroupmembers-not-working?forum=winserverhyperv

and hopefully Veeam will also be able to leverage checkpoints to complete backups successfully.
nismoau
Novice

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:38 am

Thanks for the update! I will have a look at it but give me a bit of time ;-)
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 390 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby chris-au » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:29 pm

I'd been having the same issues with Hyper-V 2016 hostinga guest failover cluster (2012 R2) with the file server role using VHDS for the storage and attempting to backup it up using Veeam. I was getting errors about not being able to create snapshots.

I have deployed 4034661 to our Hyper-V hosts this weekend gone and it has partially improved the issue for me. I have VSS disabled in the backup job for the guest cluster nodes (have not tried with it enabled just yet) and have been able to backup one of the guest cluster nodes with Veeam, however the second node it tried to process failed with the same errors as Robert Gijsen posted above. So that update definitely changed something around snapshots of VMs with VHDS attached.

The only thing I have observed at present that may give any indication as to why one worked and the other didn't is that the one that worked is running on the Hyper-V host that is currently the "Current Host Server" for the Hyper-V cluster and the owner of the CSV.
chris-au
Novice

Full Name: Chris Gay

Veeam Logoby chris-au » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:38 pm

It seems I spoke to soon. When Veeam tried to backup the guest cluster VMs again tonight it failed on both with the same errors as shown in Robert's post.

I've also discovered that the system drive and the shared VHDS drives for the guest cluster VMs all now have snapshots, however Hyper-V management console does not report any for either of the guest cluster VMs and neither does Get-VMCheckpoint or Get-VMSnapshot. However under settings the system drives do state that they can't be edited because of checkpoints and the shared VHDS each have 2 avhdx files with different IDs.

Not sure how to merge the checkpoints if they're not being reported in Hyper-V or PowerShell.

I've also since read that a few people were saying that the guest VMs also need to be 2016 in order for the host-level backup of VHD Sets to work. Is it at all possible to still do crash consistent backups of guest cluster VMs running 2012 R2 with either shared VHDX or VHD Sets with Veeam? It worked really well with shared VHDXs and Hyper-V 2012 R2, however due to various reasons we needed to upgrade to Hyper-V 2016 and Veeam would no longer backup VMs with shared VHDXs and instead said you need to upgrade to VHD Sets.
chris-au
Novice

Veeam Logoby nmdange » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:14 pm 1 person likes this post

It is normal for there to be an avhdx file for vhd sets. In that situation it is not due to a snapshot, see https://blog.workinghardinit.work/2015/ ... rver-2016/
nmdange
Expert

Liked: 60 times

Veeam Logoby chris-au » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:37 am

I know it is normal for there to be AN avhdx file for each VHD Set, however there are now TWO avhdx files for each VHD Set
chris-au
Novice

Veeam Logoby nvolkmer » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:07 am

Hi,

i've tried to implement the latest windows update to fix that issue for our envirnment. That was kb4034661.
In my case that breaks up the cluster config to sync correctly and stops replicating the storage.

I've opened up a topic in the microsoft forums if someone got a similar issue.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... Clustering
nvolkmer
Novice

Full Name: Nils Volkmer

Veeam Logoby acolada » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:49 am

Thanks to wonderful 2016 hyper-v technology, I now have 6 avdhx files for every vhd set, after repeated Veeam backups. Some of them even succeeded.
The virtual system disk for every virtual node does not merge, unless I shut down the VM and remove the vhd set disks from it. After that it merges correctly the normal vhdx file.
No merging for avhdx generated by vhd set yet.

Also I have to change the node ownership for the physical csv holding the vhd set, to recover from "cannot open attachment" or "general access denied" error, when trying to get the contents of the vm, or trying to inspect the vhd set.
acolada
Lurker

Full Name: acolada

PreviousNext

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V