Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Sam P
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sam P

Backup and Replication 2-host cluster option

Post by Sam P »

Hi

I have a Server 2012 R2 hyper-v cluster environment, 30 current running VMs, total size of all VM in cluster is currently 12TB.

Onsite Repository is QNAP TS-1253BU-RP with 54TB of space. I have another same QNAP Storage offsite at our Data Center which I would like to replication offsite backup to (WAN Link is 10mbps)
Any idea of best way to set this up?

Also is it ok to have one of the VM on same Cluster as the veeam backup server?

Do I need proxy server or have all in one backupserver?

/Samol
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2858 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup and Replication 2-host cluster option

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Any idea of best way to set this up?
- have a windows machine on the offsite location that runs the Veeam WAN Accelerator & repository role (using the QNAP as block storage instead of SMB is usually more stable. consider ReFS with Server 2016 for performance reasons)
- do the initial backup copy job local (not over 10MBit) and move the box afterwards to the offsite location or think about backup copy job seeding
- do the math how long it would take to transfer everything / changes over 10Mbit (it depends on your data, I usually calculate with 1:6 - 1:10) and configure the backup copy job according to this
Also is it ok to have one of the VM on same Cluster as the veeam backup server?
hmm, could you describe more in detail? The backup server can run on the cluster, but for safety reasons it is recommended to store the backups outside the cluster
Do I need proxy server or have all in one backupserver?
With Hyper-V, the proxy runs directly on the Hyper-V hosts. On the offsite location you need the roles "WAN Accelerator" and "Repository"

Best regards,
Hannes