Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
tym
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tim Diekhans

backup cannot find vm

Post by tym »

Hi,

we have one VM on a cluster that the backup cannot find, if we move it to another cluster node. ("Task failed. Failed to expand object [VM]. Error: Cannot find VM [VM] on host [clusterhost]
My idea was that the VM has been added to the backup job by selecting the cluster node instead of the whole cluster, so I would just remove it now, and add it back the right way. My concern with this is, that the job sees this vm as a whole new vm then, and takes a full backup because of this.
As this particular VM is almost 40TB in size, I would rather avoid this. Any suggestions?

Best,
Tim
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: backup cannot find vm

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Tim,

Your thinking (and concern) is correct. There is a big change that it gets recognized as another VM. Unfortunately, you can be sure that we lost the change block tracking so the next backup will take long for sure, even if we can remap it.

I would log a support call and ask them to assist you with remapping and the removal but your next backup should be best in the weekend I'm afraid

(As always, please post the support case ID and follow-up here)

Thanks
Mike
tym
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tim Diekhans

Post by tym » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Mike, maybe it is the best to split the vm into smaller file servers and back them up correctly. In addition to the "not found" error, we are facing large incremental backups due to a legacy 8mb block setting for this vm. So we could solve this as well in one go.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Tim,

That would indeed solve some things. I am still worried though about the fact that the VM was not found so make sure you select the VM (or VMs) correctly in case you need to move it to another cluster node in the future. You want to make sure that that is solved also ;-)

Cheers
Mike